DFW gains KEF nonstops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFW gains KEF nonstops

WOW Air announced seasonal nonstop service between its KEF hub and DFW with a 330-300. Interestingly enough just some days later, Icelandair also announced the route, albeit year-round but four times a week, and with a 752. Not sure if DFW can support two Icelandic nonstops but we'll see I guess.

WOW Air | Star Telegram

Icelandair | FBT

1. Wow is adding about 4 new US cities, not just DFW.

2. Ever hear of a hub and spoke system?

3. Hold the thought on #2 and think about KEF as a hub to funnel folks in from around the US and then distribute them back out to an array of places in Europe (and vice versa) with some great prices.
    A. It looks good on paper.
    B. It seems to be working ok for real, too.

4. They have purple liveries.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      1. Wow is adding about 4 new US cities, not just DFW.

2. Ever hear of a hub and spoke system?

3. Hold the thought on #2 and think about KEF as a hub to funnel folks in from around the US and then distribute them back out to an array of places in Europe (and vice versa) with some great prices.
      A. It looks good on paper.
      B. It seems to be working ok for real, too.

4. They have purple liveries.
      You could have told me in a nicer manner but knowing the way you sometimes post on these forums your response doesn't come as a surprise. Yes, I have heard about the hub and spoke system, been hearing about it for 20 or so odd years now, since the time I started doing research on my own and got fascinated by aviation. I realize WOW's and Icelandair's usage of KEF as a connecting hub coupled with the promotion of Iceland as a stop-over is paying dividends. I never said this won't work, but having two nonstops to KEF in a market for which the route is new, I just voiced my opinion on the matter, no need to get professorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
        You could have told me in a nicer manner but knowing the way you somtimes post on these forums your response doesn't come as a surprise. Yes, I have heard about the hub and spoke system, been hearing about it for 20 or so odd years now, since the time I started doing research on my own and got fascinated by aviation. I realize WOW's and Icelandair's usage of KEF as a connecting hub coupled with the promotion of Iceland as a stop-over is paying dividends. I never said this won't work, but having two nonstops to KEF in a market for which the route is new, I just voiced my opinion on the matter, no need to get professorial.
        Ironingly, I rode WOW from BWI about two years ago specifically to visit Iceland, and then had a family member do in Keflavik what is done at DFW and ATL and ORD and DEN...get funneled in and dispersed back out to Europe at a very impressive price.

AND NOW, Flyover International Airport and a couple more places are getting service just like you guys down at DFW... we think it's cool too.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Ironingly, I rode WOW from BWI about two years ago specifically to visit Iceland, and then had a family member do in Keflavik what is done at DFW and ATL and ORD and DEN...get funneled in and dispersed back out to Europe at a very impressive price.

AND NOW, Flyover International Airport and a couple more places are getting service just like you guys down at DFW... we think it's cool too.
          Ironingly ????? Hopefully it was the autofill that got you there ? !! It did crease me up though when I read it. Geddit ? Ironing....Creased !! Don't go getting all starchy on me. Oh, is there no end to my humour ?
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Oh, is there no end to my humour ?
            Indeed.

Ehn Song vom Legendäre Jimi Hendrix. Songname isch : Purple Haze.Purple Haze Lyrics : Purple haze, all in my brainLately things they don't seem the sameActin...

Comment

It is quite interesting for sure, I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself. How was your experience?

Comment

Love it. Real music. Not the shit that we get spoonfed these days.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                  It is quite interesting for sure, I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself. How was your experience?
                  You sort of need a Southwest airlines mentality (or maybe not, you pay for EVERYTHING, but can get assigned seats...but think "low cost")...pay for luggage, carry on, and ANY SNACK OR WATER. That being said, the plane was nice, clean, new and the FA's/Customer serviced experience seemed a bit better than what we see from United (at least based on the media).

Regarding the hub and spoke deal- Iceland can have nasty weather- the family member I mentioned got to spend an extra, unplanned day BEFORE leaving due to a snowstorm and mass cancellations. HOWEVER, I think the WOW folks picked up the housing bill.

If you can schedule WAY in advance, you can get some awesome fares...that being said, fares are 'typical to good' for 'typical' scheduling. Repeating, we are looking forward to having some additional international stuff at Flyover.

Comment

I've flown Southwest more than a dozen times now. A lot of people aren't that keen on Southwest but I like it, so I guess I'm already adapted to that kind of service.

Yeah the weather in Iceland is quite finicky from what I've heard so I guess flexibility in travel days is almost required if you're transiting at KEF.

Comment

Working...
                    X