KLM has ended passenger 747 operations

Update:

ACE Freighters - Belgium, operates 747-400F as well, ER version

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
      KLM has ended passenger 747 operations

Update:

ACE Freighters - Belgium, operates 747-400F as well, ER version
      Wow. And I thought, our colleagues at Schiphol could go through the Golden Gate together with us. But KLM aborted the race, with the target always visible. That somehow is sad, especially after they always stay in my mind with jetphotos like this:
      https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5901579 [the PFB at Maho Beach, August 2006]
      https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5783126 [the PFN at Maho Beach, September 2004]
      And, this is indeed of French Origin, and I like to say, after 42 years in life, this is my favorite Boeing 747 jetphoto of all times (!). Here it is.
      https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/162743

So, with KLM another one leaves the 747 club.
      KLM (1971-2020).
      And at KLM they were not able to wait those few weeks, until February 2021?

Or was it the aim of our colleagues at Schiphol, that only 1 airline in Europe should be the Gold Member in the 747 club, for 50 years in the air with the 747?

As far as I know, today there are only 2 International airlines in Europe who in aviation history are old enough to be a Gold Member in the 747 club:
      British Overseas (BOAC), but that name only existed until 1974,
      and,
      a rather unimportant International airline who in Germany waits until International aviation comes to life again..

Wow. I love that. The one and only Gold Member in the 747 club in Europe.
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-05-02, 23:31. Reason: KLM in the 747 club (1971-2020). 49.9 years, that's a decision.
      That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

At KLM, they have a CEO who is not quite eight years older than me (!). Thus, he really reaches 50 years in life this year. And he thought, well, let's erase everything out of the KLM fleet which is not as old as me, e.g. the KLM 747 history?

I know, Elbers is loyal to the 737. But only because she's older than him? There are men on this planet who need women who are older, e.g. Emmanuel Macron.

Thank God, at Lufthansa we have a CEO who already is older than the 747. I don't know how old his wife is, but, in my eyes it's good when she's one or three years younger.
        747, inaugurated 1969...

I'm a fan of the Lufthansa CEO, not only because he let's survive the 747. Originally, his home airport also was Lohausen International!

PS: Now, I really have a problem. With my age, I am definitely closer to Sonja Zietlow, than to Victoria Swarovski (!). 15.7 years, there are men in Germany who laugh about that difference..
        And now back on topic.
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-05-03, 01:29. Reason: 16 years younger? Hm.

Comment

List of current 747 operators, and not only that.

List of current 747 operators, where the cute and small B744 is the old (before 2010) and new (since 2020 again) flagship?
          Not KLM, and not Air France, which both have left the 747 club. Which I regret!

Lufthansa. Which if you asked me in October 2019, would have been complete nonsense in my eyes. I always expected that between Schiphol, CDG and Rhein/Main all 747 operators reach the Gold member status. Especially KLM, who would have reached Gold member status in the 747 club in February 2021. I don't understand their decision.

Btw, what's the new KLM flagship?

50 years in the 747 club, that's an honor.

Why 80 meters wingspan, if 64.5 m completely suffice?!

PS: Since let's say 10 or 15 years, I assume that I know one or two things about the 747. But there still is something new. Which seems to be normal, I am younger than the 747.
          Before all Lufthansa 747s were equipped with the Star Alliance sign in 1997, there already existed a very early Alliance of 747 operators,
          which by then was called, and now I only have the German name, the
          'ATLAS' Gruppe, which since March 1969 consisted of Air France (A), Alitalia (T), Lufthansa (LA) and, and S is missing,
          S for Sabena. Only real Aviation Addicts know that Belgium also once flew the 747.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-05-24, 05:39. Reason: Atlas. And only 1 of the Atlas Gruppe achieved the Gold member status in the 747 club.. Well. So sei es.

Comment

Alex, I need another one.

Which was the counterpart for the ATLAS Gruppe. The KSSU, since February 1970. Why do I assume that you also could learn something? Well. We are younger than the 747, arent't we.

And now, only for you, Alex. Who was part of the KSSU 747 operator alliance.

KLM (K), SAS (!), .. and now, S and U is missing. What would you guess.
            A 747 operator alliance, founded 1970.

The 'U' stands for the French 'Union de Transports Aériens', UTA, which as a 747 operator only existed for 29 years, between 1963 and 1992, originally founded on LFPO Aéroport de Orly.

And the S? Well, two photos say more than 1000 words.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9622533
            [Kloten, in rather shabby weather, but 747 pilots take it all]
            and
            https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8781930
            [... THE airport which 747 pilots virtually still dare to die for, almost 22 years after the permanent closure.. A one word subscription: checkerboard.]

The S also once was the IATA code, which here at DUS also has not really survived.. It later had become the LX .

SR-B743 . Very dear greetings and a nice sunday for you!

PS: Isn't it astonishing, how, if you don't really fly as often as you normally would, you have time to read? Fascinating.
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-05-24, 06:52. Reason: Checkerboard!

Comment

The topic is 747, right?
              Sorry, I can't really stop finding photos, must be the a/c type..

Well, I still have another one. Checkerboard again. This one really seems like a .. 22 year old picture postcard! Taken shortly before that aviation paradise closed its doors forever.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Ta...oramio_(1).jpg

That were the days.

Comment

KLM temporarily reactivates three 747 combs for cargo use

Corsair and Virgin Atlantic have ended 747 operations

Comment

Update:

Korean gov is leasing a 747-8i from Korean Air to replace the 747-400 also leased from the airline

21 Air - USA, has added a 747-400F but its stored along with their 747-400CF

Comment

Qantas has ended its own 747 operations but continues using freighter versions through Atlas Air

ACE Belgium Freighters re-branded as Challenge Airlines

Comment

Update:

British Airways has ended 747 operations with immediate effect.

Comment

Update:

British Airways has ended 747 operations with immediate effect.

More from today's AIAA Newletter:

British Airways To Retire Boeing 747

Reuters (7/17) reports that British Airways (BA), “the world’s largest operator of Boeing 747, said late Thursday it would retire its entire jumbo jet fleet with immediate effect due to the downturn in travel industry caused by the coronavirus pandemic.” BA “added that it will operate more flights on modern, fuel-efficient aircraft such as its new A350s and 787s and expects such aircraft to help in achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.”

The Daily Mail (UK) (7/16) reports BA “had originally planned to retire” the aircraft by 2024, but “plummeting passenger numbers have forced the airline to bring forward its plans.” A “leaked BA letter highlights the flagship plane as one which has ‘a very special place in the hearts of aviation enthusiasts and of many of us’ and insists the plan to retire the fleet early ‘has only been taken in response to the crisis we find ourselves in.’”

BBC News Online (UK) (7/17) reports that a BA spokesperson said, “It is with great sadness that we can confirm we are proposing to retire our entire 747 fleet with immediate effect. ... It is unlikely our magnificent ‘queen of the skies’ will ever operate commercial services for British Airways again due to the downturn in travel caused by the Covid-19 global pandemic.”

Comment

Update:

Eaglexpress - Malaysia, shut down sometime back, they were allowed to continue with aircraft contracts flying outside the country but it seems that went too

Saudia has ended 747-8F operations, aircraft are on sale

Comment

Update:

Thai Sky also operated 747-300 in addition to the 747-200

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BFC80ADE-656D-4C02-B4EE-7A3471584C3F.png
Views:	17
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1095075The last Qantas 747 VH-OEJ left Sydney today for the BoneYard. Making its mark over the ocean.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Qantas has ended its own 747 operations but continues using freighter versions through Atlas Air

[...]
                                Qantas is the very first airline who in my eyes is known worldwide and who ceased to exist as a member of the 747 club due to that damn disease.

As I assume that the English wikipedia more or less is written by people who work for the airline which they write about, I like to quote en wikipedia /Qantas:
                                Qantas retired its last Boeing 747 in July 2020 after 48 year of continuous operation, while all 12 Airbus A380s were placed in store at Mojave Air & Space Port for a minimum of three years.
                                And I wondered why there are so many QF-B744ER photos on the main page. And some of them are really really brilliant:
                                https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9795781

Oscar Echo Juliet during some sort of air acrobatics. What a farewell. And I really didn't see that coming. I have not yet found the inauguration flight of the first Qantas B747, but if that is somewhere in the internet, I'll find that day.

Qantas has left the 747 club. What a farewell.

Qantas (1971-2020).

PS: Since almost half an hour I try to find out, why somebody in the en wikipedia wrote "after 48 years". Let's assume the inauguration of the first QF 747 happened in December 1971. And then let us add 48 years. You can call me stupid, but in my eyes then you find Dec 2019 as a result.
                                Only little less than 49 years, e.g. if Qantas joined the 747 club in October 1971. But I'll find that out.
                                Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-07-30, 23:55. Reason: Qantas has left the club after 48 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X