Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

El Al says goodbye to its 747 fleet with a sky art tribute.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Al says goodbye to its 747 fleet with a sky art tribute.

It was yesterday. (Nov' 4, 2019).
    After 48 years, El Al was operats its final 747 service.
    About 2 hours into the flight from Rome to Tel Aviv the aircraft made a special draw a special tribute to the 747 in the sky southwest of Cyprus.

Bye Bye El Al Boeing 747, We miss you!

Anyone interested can see in the following link a selection of photos I took of El Al Boeing 747 aircraft.

See also the video clip from famous person Sam Chui in the cockpit, in the last flight:
    Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

And also see the drawing was made by the aircraft on the FR24:
    Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

And why did they draw an Airbus A-380?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        And why did they draw an Airbus A-380?
        Am I online tonight to explain what you wrote? I just thought, who on earth would draw an A380 in combination with El Al. Until I saw what's in the last link which Erez posted in #1 .

Am I able to distinguish a B744 and an A388 by only lookin at it from above? I don't know, but I know what you mean. The ex LY-B744s rather look like a heron, or in case of my avatar the word is 'Kranich', if you look at it from above. Rather slim with mighty wings. And not like an overweight swan... Was that also your impression?

The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

El Al joined the 747 club in 1971 when they ordered one shiny new 747-200. But why do they leave the 747 club now, only 2 years before the jubilee?

I tried to ask the internet when El Al inaugurated the 747-400, and it responded 'April 24th 1994' . So, if the first LY-B744 was among the last 747s which left the El Al fleet in November 2019, she was not quite 25 years and 7 months old. Not an age to retire, in my eyes. That LY-B744 could have celebrated the jubilee at the age of 27 years.

Again, that's no difference to 25.7 years in my eyes.

But it is as it is. The El Al Boeing 78 79 takes over.

Comment

For me the main reason why it looks more like an A380 than a B-747 is the shape and sweep angle of the wings. Judge by yourself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-380 - A-747.png
Views:	251
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1074832

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
              El Al joined the 747 club in 1971 when they ordered one shiny new 747-200. But why do they leave the 747 club now, only 2 years before the jubilee?

I tried to ask the internet when El Al inaugurated the 747-400, and it responded 'April 24th 1994' . So, if the first LY-B744 was among the last 747s which left the El Al fleet in November 2019, she was not quite 25 years and 7 months old. Not an age to retire, in my eyes. That LY-B744 could have celebrated the jubilee at the age of 27 years.

Again, that's no difference to 25.7 years in my eyes.

But it is as it is. The El Al Boeing 78 79 takes over.
              Yeah, because you know, airlines make the decision to retire or not a type based on jubilee, age and emotional factors. Operating costs, capacity, flexibility, airline strategy and resale value have nothing to do.

Comment

Yeah, because you know, airlines make the decision to retire or not a type based on jubilee, age and emotional factors. Operating costs, capacity, flexibility, airline strategy and resale value have nothing to do.
                I'd guess that's not true for all airlines which you n me know. Let me begin with the Flyin Kangaroos,
                also known as Qantas, who also joined the 747 club in 1971. Until today I haven't heard that they would leave the club. The QF-B744ERs stay in the fleet at least until 2020.
                Jubilees do count. Imagine you were 21 years old. No jubilee which you could look forward to soon...

Then the Flying Dutchmen,
                also known as KLM. I only say it again. Jubilees do count!

Last but not least,
                the LH-B744 .

Jubilees do count, believe me.

Comment

For me the main reason why it looks more like an A380 than a B-747 is the shape and sweep angle of the wings. Judge by yourself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B-380 - A-747.png Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	1074832
                  That's quite perfect, and so very much faster than I could reach my avatar with a view from above. Ah, indeed I've found some, too.
                  Wieso in die Ferne schweifen wenn das Gute liegt so nah.
                  Ole German saying. Thus, this is what I found:
                  https://magazin.lufthansa.com/conten...2-308unten.jpg
                  (Careful when downloading that picture, somebody thought
                  that true 4K resolution could be helpful so that we can count the screws in every single seat.)

Yes. The 747 wings never had such a small wing sweep angle, 37.5 degree, that's what I learned 1 minute ago.
                  The rather fat swan only shows 33.5 degree, measured from the perpendicular (in your picture or in my picture), as I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post

That's quite perfect, and so very much faster than I could reach my avatar with a view from above. Ah, indeed I've found some, too.
                    Wieso in die Ferne schweifen wenn das Gute liegt so nah.
                    Ole German saying. Thus, this is what I found:
                    https://magazin.lufthansa.com/conten...2-308unten.jpg
                    (Careful when downloading that picture, somebody thought
                    that true 4K resolution could be helpful so that we can count the screws in every single seat.(1)

Yes. The 747 wings never had such a small wing sweep angle, 37.5 degree, that's what I learned 1 minute ago.
                    The rather fat swan only shows 33.5 degree, measured from the perpendicular (in your picture or in my picture), as I assume.
                    is that verified ?

Comment

What intrigues me is why they descended from cruise altitude to 10,000 feet to do the artwork, then climbed back to cruise altitude to finish the trip?
                      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
                      X