pilots pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by united777lover
    When 20years is over, go commercial and join the big dogs.
    In those 20 years i could get my fATPL, join a regional carrier, knock up a thousand hours plus and get my ATPL unfrozen, join a major airline and get into the right seat of a long haul jet and easily be earning £90k all without stepping near a military jet. Your idea that joining the military will increase your chances of employment with a major is quite flawed in this day and age.

Comment

getting hired is the hard part
      Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

How easy is it to "join" an airline Grant? Never heard that term in that context before.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
          How easy is it to "join" an airline Grant? Never heard that term in that context before.
          You mean its not the like the virtual airlines!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
            Sorry Jeff. Be employed.

And to answer your question Jeff it isn't very easy, especially with the many experienced pilots that are still unemployed because of 9/11 and SARS. Not forgetting the many other factors that effect getting that all important airline job.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantT
              Your idea that joining the military will increase your chances of employment with a major is quite flawed in this day and age.
              It is an effective way of building up flight time with low cost. If you were to pay for the same amount of experience with personal money, chances are you can't and never will.

It would also depend on the nature/length of your contract. Even 5 years would give you much experience.

Comment

I know probably close to 100 military pilots who changed out of their flight suit one day, and put on one of those silly hats the next day. The others went to work in the "front office".

Comment

Well, that's your opinion, but personally I don't want to 'assume' I'll get a job with any airline regarles of how big or small it is. YOu have to remember there are 100's probably 1000's of pilots applying for the same possition and they want more experienced pilots and if you went to ERAU, that is nice and all and you do get lots of hours there but it doesn't show you can handle that of a BEECH1900 or CRJ. GO military, get 1000's of hours, see the world, amazing benefits, fly awesome planes and it will impress airlines.. How do I know this? my dad's friends did this and they all went commercial and skipped the little planes as they had 2500hours from 21 years of service or more.

Comment

Originally posted by united777lover
                    ..they all went commercial and skipped the little planes as they had 2500hours from 21 years of service or more.
                    And collect a nice retirement check each month.

Comment

Guess me and Mikecweb are going to get hired quickly It would be good to have ERAU on your resume one day. ERAU is pretty expensive though, $10,000 per semester! But you can get loans and other stuff. The thing i like about ERAU is that you start to fly the first year your there and build up hours right from the begining. But you need 2000 hours to even apply for a job with a airline.

Heres my plan:
                      Graduate from ERAU and go and work with a small airline or company. Probably a small airline. Then i build up my hours from there and then go to a bigger airline, or just stay with the small airline, if the pay is more. Usually thats the case, beginner pilots who fly for companies and small airlines get payed more than other beginner pilots who get hired from the bigger airlines. Although the bigger airlines have nicer planes. I want to go back to Pakistan and fly for PIA, because they need more pilots there. Thats what my bro is going to do, he is doing Aerospace engineering. He is going to go back to PK and work over there.

-PIAA310
                      ***My Blog***

Comment

While ER is a good school, you're going to have to convince your interview board that you're not a whiny little daddie's boy with too much money, who'g going to drop a trip as soon as he sees an inop sticker in the airplane.

I know several guys who went to Riddle and have been hired by all sorts of airlines, but I also know of a frieght company that won't touch a Riddle grad unles they've got some experience in the real world either.

BTW, in todays market, if you're an Air Force guy with 2500 TT, 2000 Jet, 1000 Jet PIC, welcome to Comair...... If you can get the interview. Might also have a shot at AirTran or JetBlue, but that's about it.
                        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Ummm yeah Riddle is a good school but don't think that name will get you everywhere. Hours is chief. If your good at riddle you'll through all your ratings in about 150-175 hours. Which will get you no where. You gotta build hours some other way. Grant it this is if your good. I got my private at riddle in 46 hours...39.7 of which were dual. Average for riddle is 70-80. The big thing you'll get with riddle that you may not get elsewhere is internships. CO, WN, and ACA have big programs here that basically gives you the ins with each company and a very good chance to get hired with them.

Comment

Ummm yeah Riddle is a good school but don't think that name will get you everywhere. Hours is chief. If your good at riddle you'll through all your ratings in about 150-175 hours. Which will get you no where. You gotta build hours some other way. Grant it this is if your good. I got my private at riddle in 46 hours...39.7 of which were dual. Average for riddle is 70-80. The big thing you'll get with riddle that you may not get elsewhere is internships. CO, WN, and ACA have big programs here that basically gives you the ins with each company and a very good chance to get hired with them.

Comment

Internships can be a good thing for a prospective pilot. A friend of mine was hired into the CRJ at a little over 250 hours after he did one over a summer.

I missed out by graduating instead of holding off another quarter. I'd be sitting pretty right now if I had sucked it up and done an internship.
                              Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                                While ER is a good school, you're going to have to convince your interview board that you're not a whiny little daddie's boy with too much money, who'g going to drop a trip as soon as he sees an inop sticker in the airplane.

I know several guys who went to Riddle and have been hired by all sorts of airlines, but I also know of a frieght company that won't touch a Riddle grad unles they've got some experience in the real world either.

BTW, in todays market, if you're an Air Force guy with 2500 TT, 2000 Jet, 1000 Jet PIC, welcome to Comair...... If you can get the interview. Might also have a shot at AirTran or JetBlue, but that's about it.

Are you refering that to me?
                                ***My Blog***

Comment

Working...
                                X