Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIAA310
    replied
    Thanks DeltaASA16, How many hours does a person graduate with (from ERAU)? I heard that it was about 250+ hours. I am not planning on getting a job in the USA when i graduate. I am planning on going back to Pakistan and working for PIA or some other country, Abu Dubhai,Qatar,etc....... I think it would be easier to fly for PIA because they consider it to be good if you have a degree from a USA based College. I would have a greater chance of getting a job there than in the USA, if that doesn't work out i will come back and try my luck over here.

-PIAA310

Leave a comment:

• FlyingPhotog
    replied
    Originally posted by GrantT
    And to answer your question Jeff it isn't very easy, especially with the many experienced pilots that are still unemployed because of 9/11 and SARS. Not forgetting the many other factors that effect getting that all important airline job.
    True indeed Grant. Fortune magazine says Southwest rejects employment applicants (Not just pilots) at a higher rate than Harvard.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    PIA-

The road to getting a chance to apply for that "little airline" is where you pay your dues. Just learning the crap it takes to fly will send you for loops. Its not an easy road getting your ratings. I know people (Mazur) who are now CFI(I), MEI, have the works and they tell me it was HARDER THAN HELL to get to where they are today, and they still have a long road to getting hired!

Your best bet is to rough it through wherever you end up.. stick with it.. get your ratings and then, instead of renting multi's till you have 1500+ hours, get on with a local Charter company back home. I'm hopin that Falwell Charter will let me part-time with them flying Cessna414, Bonanza's, and King Airs when I am all set.. however long that takes

Best of luck at ERAU

Adam

Leave a comment:

• PIAA310
    replied
    Originally posted by N9103M
    Originally posted by assghanistan
    ERAU grads used to get a guaranteed spot with a major, but not anymore. I know a guy that went into ERAU to get that guaranteed spot, but when he finished, no spots were open, and he didn't want to go with a regional. He's now a fueler at the airport waiting for the right time.
    Garunteed spot at a Major?!

I know alot of Riddle grads, never herd anything like that. The only thing I have ever heard of is interns getting preferential treatment in the hiring process.

Nothing is garunteed in the aviation industry, ever.
    Yes N9103M, very true, NOTHING is ever GARANTEED in the aviation industry. Although some people might get lucky sometimes and get a job a year after graduation. The best way to get started is either start with a small company or airline or instructor, and build up your hours. Some one i know, flies for a medical company, he is trying to build up hours so he can apply for a job, right now i think he has about 1900 hours under his belt. He probably got more now, because its been about two months since i talked to him. He is going to apply for a job soon.[/b]

Leave a comment:

• LRJet Guy
    replied
    PIAA310, not at all.

Leave a comment:

• assghanistan
    replied
    ERAU grads used to get a guaranteed spot with a major, but not anymore. I know a guy that went into ERAU to get that guaranteed spot, but when he finished, no spots were open, and he didn't want to go with a regional. He's now a fueler at the airport waiting for the right time.

Leave a comment:

• PIAA310
    replied
    Originally posted by LRJet Guy
    While ER is a good school, you're going to have to convince your interview board that you're not a whiny little daddie's boy with too much money, who'g going to drop a trip as soon as he sees an inop sticker in the airplane.

I know several guys who went to Riddle and have been hired by all sorts of airlines, but I also know of a frieght company that won't touch a Riddle grad unles they've got some experience in the real world either.

BTW, in todays market, if you're an Air Force guy with 2500 TT, 2000 Jet, 1000 Jet PIC, welcome to Comair...... If you can get the interview. Might also have a shot at AirTran or JetBlue, but that's about it.

Are you refering that to me?

Leave a comment:

• LRJet Guy
    replied
    Internships can be a good thing for a prospective pilot. A friend of mine was hired into the CRJ at a little over 250 hours after he did one over a summer.

I missed out by graduating instead of holding off another quarter. I'd be sitting pretty right now if I had sucked it up and done an internship.

Leave a comment:

• mikecweb
    replied
    Ummm yeah Riddle is a good school but don't think that name will get you everywhere. Hours is chief. If your good at riddle you'll through all your ratings in about 150-175 hours. Which will get you no where. You gotta build hours some other way. Grant it this is if your good. I got my private at riddle in 46 hours...39.7 of which were dual. Average for riddle is 70-80. The big thing you'll get with riddle that you may not get elsewhere is internships. CO, WN, and ACA have big programs here that basically gives you the ins with each company and a very good chance to get hired with them.

Leave a comment:

• mikecweb
    replied
    Ummm yeah Riddle is a good school but don't think that name will get you everywhere. Hours is chief. If your good at riddle you'll through all your ratings in about 150-175 hours. Which will get you no where. You gotta build hours some other way. Grant it this is if your good. I got my private at riddle in 46 hours...39.7 of which were dual. Average for riddle is 70-80. The big thing you'll get with riddle that you may not get elsewhere is internships. CO, WN, and ACA have big programs here that basically gives you the ins with each company and a very good chance to get hired with them.

Leave a comment:

• LRJet Guy
    replied
    While ER is a good school, you're going to have to convince your interview board that you're not a whiny little daddie's boy with too much money, who'g going to drop a trip as soon as he sees an inop sticker in the airplane.

I know several guys who went to Riddle and have been hired by all sorts of airlines, but I also know of a frieght company that won't touch a Riddle grad unles they've got some experience in the real world either.

BTW, in todays market, if you're an Air Force guy with 2500 TT, 2000 Jet, 1000 Jet PIC, welcome to Comair...... If you can get the interview. Might also have a shot at AirTran or JetBlue, but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• PIAA310
    replied
    Guess me and Mikecweb are going to get hired quickly It would be good to have ERAU on your resume one day. ERAU is pretty expensive though, $10,000 per semester! But you can get loans and other stuff. The thing i like about ERAU is that you start to fly the first year your there and build up hours right from the begining. But you need 2000 hours to even apply for a job with a airline.

Heres my plan:
    Graduate from ERAU and go and work with a small airline or company. Probably a small airline. Then i build up my hours from there and then go to a bigger airline, or just stay with the small airline, if the pay is more. Usually thats the case, beginner pilots who fly for companies and small airlines get payed more than other beginner pilots who get hired from the bigger airlines. Although the bigger airlines have nicer planes. I want to go back to Pakistan and fly for PIA, because they need more pilots there. Thats what my bro is going to do, he is doing Aerospace engineering. He is going to go back to PK and work over there.

-PIAA310

Leave a comment:

• JeffinDEN
    replied
    Originally posted by united777lover
    ..they all went commercial and skipped the little planes as they had 2500hours from 21 years of service or more.
    And collect a nice retirement check each month.

Leave a comment:

• united777lover
    replied
    Well, that's your opinion, but personally I don't want to 'assume' I'll get a job with any airline regarles of how big or small it is. YOu have to remember there are 100's probably 1000's of pilots applying for the same possition and they want more experienced pilots and if you went to ERAU, that is nice and all and you do get lots of hours there but it doesn't show you can handle that of a BEECH1900 or CRJ. GO military, get 1000's of hours, see the world, amazing benefits, fly awesome planes and it will impress airlines.. How do I know this? my dad's friends did this and they all went commercial and skipped the little planes as they had 2500hours from 21 years of service or more.

Leave a comment:

• JeffinDEN
    replied
    I know probably close to 100 military pilots who changed out of their flight suit one day, and put on one of those silly hats the next day. The others went to work in the "front office".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X