UA 553 - Midway - 47 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA 553 - Midway - 47 years ago

This one really illustrates the danger of getting behind the airplane in the approach while trying to save it. This was a very experienced crew with good old stick and rudder skills flying a non-precision instrument approach. They were 700ft high crossing the outer marker and deployed spoilers to put the plane into a 1500fpm descent. They left the spoilers extended after levelling off at MDA (perhaps in the high-workload moment they were mistaken as being armed for landing) slowed to stall warning activation and received an almost simultaneous ATC instruction to go-around due to traffic separation. Then, with the stickshaker still active, they retracted flaps to go-around. With the spoilers in the flight detent position and the reduced flaps the plane stalled and impacted a residential neighborhood.

I feel pretty certain these pilots would not have made these mistakes if they had time to think clearly and exercise the normal amount of caution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...nes_Flight_553

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    I feel pretty certain these pilots would not have made these mistakes if they had time to think clearly and exercise the normal amount of caution.
    How's the bike ride coming along?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I take it, 31L in that case was what is now 31C.

Comment

Working...
      X