Caution Wake Turbulence -> Emergency Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution Wake Turbulence -> Emergency Landing

Was wake turbulence a factor in yesterday's emergency landing? What do you think?

ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - On Saturday, December 28, 2019, a Piper PA-32RT crashed approximately one-quarter mile east of the airport as it was taking off from Runway 17, and was partially consumed by fire adjacent to the Asheville Regional Airport, Asheville, North Carolina. Thankfully, all five people on board were able to exit the plane and were not seriously injured, according to an Emergency Services spokesman.

The Piper took off immediately following American Airlines flight 5319. The Air Traffic Control Tower warned the Piper aircraft by saying “caution wake turbulence” for their departure following the American Airlines airplane, a Bombardier CRJ-900LR. Wake turbulence is especially hazardous in the region behind an aircraft in the takeoff or landing phases of flight. During take-off and landing, aircraft operate at high angle of attack. This flight attitude maximizes the formation of strong vortices, known as wake turbulence. In the vicinity of an airport there can be multiple aircraft, all operating at low speed and low altitude, and this provides extra risk of wake turbulence with reduced height from which to recover from any upset. Wake turbulence avoidance is therefore very important.

Thanks for the wake turbulence warning,

but heck...

Not a banner weekend for general aviation.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      Not a banner weekend for general aviation.
      Nope.

Comment

I very much doubt that if wake turbulence caused an accident, it would be an accident where all 5 on board would be able to exit the plane uninjured.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          I very much doubt that if wake turbulence caused an accident, it would be an accident where all 5 on board would be able to exit the plane uninjured.
          OK thanks for the insight. Makes sense. Perhaps they were able to recover before impact, but I understand what you mean. We'll need to wait for the NTSB report to be sure, or for the pilot to make an announcement.

Comment

As ATL would say, "WHAT"!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

Yes, Gabriel wrote a mildly complex sentence based upon what usually happens in a wake turbulence crash.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Gabriel has been suffering from a slight bout of lysdexia lately, e. g. leading edges magically became trailing edges. He meant to say that had this accident been caused by the mighty -900's wake, nobody would have walked away as they would have most certainly did dieded.

Comment

Let me simplify it with a syllogism:

1- Wake turbulence can cause loss of control which in turn can cause an accident.
                  2- Accidents due to loss of control generally not survivable.
                  3- In the accident of this thread, all 5 occupants walked away with at most minor injuries.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------
                  THEREFORE this accident is unlikely to have been caused by wake turbulence.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Let me simplify it with a syllogism:

1- Wake turbulence can cause loss of control which in turn can cause an accident.
                    2- Accidents due to loss of control generally not survivable.
                    3- In the accident of this thread, all 5 occupants walked away with at most minor injuries.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------
                    THEREFORE this accident is unlikely to have been caused by wake turbulence.
                    But that's not what you said, although it could be my credentials reading. All the best for 2020 to all.

Comment

I understand your reason for doubting this, but it could happen at low altitude if the pilot manages to recover from roll upset but is too low to avoid ground contact:

On Monday 3 March 1997 at 1014 hours, privately owned and operated Cessna 185 encountered wake turbulence from previous departing aircraft, the pilot lost control of the aircraft at a height from which recovery was not possible and the aircraft descended to the ground.

Comment

Guys, happy new year to all the Jetphotos community.

You all know that English is not my first language. Far from wanting to use it as an excuse for my mistakes, I appreciate being corrected so I can keep learning and improving.

It is evident that my sentence above was not fully clear to say the least. But I don't realize why. Can you help me see what's wrong?

Thank you.

Comment

Guys, happy new year to all the Jetphotos community.

You all know that English is not my first language. Far from wanting to use it as an excuse for my mistakes, I appreciate being corrected so I can keep learning and improving.

It is evident that my sentence above was not fully clear to say the least. But I don't realize why. Can you help me see what's wrong?

Thank you.
                          There's nothing wrong with it. I don't know what they're talking about. Feliz año nuevo.

Comment

Thank you.
                            I thought I fairly clearly explained that your sentence was slightly complex. But please don’t listen to me.

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Thank you Evan and 3WE. In hindsight, I see that it was needlessly wordy.

Comment

Working...
                              X