50 Tons of Fuel Dumped over Zurich - Edelweiss Flight 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Tons of Fuel Dumped over Zurich - Edelweiss Flight 24

ZURICH, Switzerland - On Wednesday, 1 January 2020, an Edelweiss Air Airbus A340-300 Flight 24 from Zurich to Cancun was climbing out of Zurich's runway 16 when the crew stopped the climb due to an abnormal indication for engine number 3 - which later turned out to be a false indication. The crew shut the engine down, dumped 50 tons of fuel, and returned to Zurich for a safe landing on runway 16. The aircraft remained on the ground for another 1.5 hours, then departed again and reached Cancun with a delay of about 3.5 hours.

Listen to (See) the ATC Conversation Here

What happens when you dump 50 tons of fuel only 12,000 feet above Zurich?

I believe it vapourises and becomes a gas, it doesn't 'rain' on the population

Comment

Originally posted by okgood View Post
      ZURICH, Switzerland - On Wednesday, 1 January 2020, an Edelweiss Air Airbus A340-300 Flight 24 from Zurich to Cancun was climbing out of Zurich's runway 16 when the crew stopped the climb due to an abnormal indication for engine number 3 - which later turned out to be a false indication. The crew shut the engine down, dumped 50 tons of fuel, and returned to Zurich for a safe landing on runway 16. The aircraft remained on the ground for another 1.5 hours, then departed again and reached Cancun with a delay of about 3.5 hours.

Listen to (See) the ATC Conversation Here

What happens when you dump 50 tons of fuel only 12,000 feet above Zurich?
      Like everything you dump in Zurich, it disappears.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Like everything you dump in Zurich, it disappears.
        Hahaha, so true. That city is spotless

Comment

Originally posted by vaztr View Post
          I believe it vapourises and becomes a gas, it doesn't 'rain' on the population
          It does vaporize indeed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Just curious for the nub? What exactly does dumping fuel have to do with aviation SAFETY? You seem to be the new ErezS that loves to be the FIRST to get it up on the board. SMH ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
              Just curious for the nub? What exactly does dumping fuel have to do with aviation SAFETY? You seem to be the new ErezS that loves to be the FIRST to get it up on the board. SMH ​​​​​​
              Good question. I suppose to me, the fact that Edelweiss Flight 24 successfully shut down an engine during it's initial climb and the ATC conversation showed how professionally it was all handled, resulting in a safe landing back in Zurich, is an excellent demonstration of aviation safety.

Comment

I think it has everything to do with the safety of the good people of Zurich.

okgood, you need at least 5000ft of altitude above ground to assure the fuel completely vaporizes. So make it 6000ft or more. And, of course, at least that much separation from any other aircraft.

Comment

you need at least 5000ft of altitude above ground to assure the fuel completely vaporizes.
                  Excellent. Thanks for the answer I've been looking for. Much appreciated!

Comment

Just today I stumbled upon this ... https://www.businessinsider.com/planes-dump-jet-fuel-aircraft-landing-emergency-2019-12
                    • "Dumping fuel into the atmosphere isn't free of consequences, but the Environmental Protection Agency just isn't worried about it."
                    • "Dumped jet fuel is supposed to evaporate before it hits the earth, but even Boeing has said that "Even though fuel is vaporized, "it is still suspended in the atmosphere. "And the fuel will eventually reach the ground."
                    • The U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry listed mixed results in regards to the biodegradability of jet fuel, and the same study went on to say, it can be transported by wind and become a component of smog."

Comment

Originally posted by okgood View Post
                      Just today I stumbled upon this ... https://www.businessinsider.com/planes-dump-jet-fuel-aircraft-landing-emergency-2019-12
                      • "Dumping fuel into the atmosphere isn't free of consequences, but the Environmental Protection Agency just isn't worried about it."
                      • "Dumped jet fuel is supposed to evaporate before it hits the earth, but even Boeing has said that "Even though fuel is vaporized, "it is still suspended in the atmosphere. "And the fuel will eventually reach the ground."
                      • The U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry listed mixed results in regards to the biodegradability of jet fuel, and the same study went on to say, it can be transported by wind and become a component of smog."
                      Well, the EPA under Trump is a sham agency, so ignore them. If planes dumped fuel every day we might have a reason to be concerned, but fuel jettisons are rare. The much greater concern is directed at leaks and spills during ground storage and transportation, particularly when it seeps into the water table but also when it vaporizes into the air. Much of what is dumped is converted to ozone, which contributes to smog. It certainly isn't good for us, but there's no established evidence that I'm aware of that connects fuel jettison with direct health or environmental consequences.

On the other hand, Gabriel insists it isn't necessary to jettison fuel, so maybe we shouldn't allow it.

Comment

On the other hand, Gabriel insists it isn't necessary to jettison fuel, so maybe we shouldn't allow it.
                        Did you forget the blue font or you didn't understand a thing?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Did you mention me because you just felt like doing it?
                          What exactly is the benefit of your response?

What is the contribution of your response?

One thing is certain: it does not indicate excessive wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
                            Did you mention me because you just felt like doing it?
                            What exactly is the benefit of your response?

What is the contribution of your response?

One thing is certain: it does not indicate excessive wisdom.
                            I have, in my couple of years of experience in the aviation business, run into more than one person that just thrives on being the one that "knows the inside poop" before everyone else and just loves to let everyone know that they do. Loosing and engine, or shutting one down as a precaution and dumping some fuel to get below max landing weight before returning to land is NOT an emergency. Blowing a tire on takeoff and doing the same is NOT an emergency. If you didn't understand my post, reread it slowly.

Comment

Safety is defined as "the condition of not being likely to cause damage or harm", so to me it seems dumping aviation fuel to ensure the safe landing of an airplane has to do with Aviation Safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X