Reports of a Ukrainian 737 Having Crashed in Tehran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reports of a Ukrainian 737 Having Crashed in Tehran

A Ukrainian passenger plane carrying 180 people has crashed near Tehran.

The airliner, said to be a Boeing 737, went down near Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport, according to local media.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cal-media.html

And a few other sources.

There were many Iranian and Canadian citizens on board the Ukraine International Airlines' Boeing 737.

A Ukrainian airplane carrying 180 people -- including both passengers and crew -- crashed Wednesday morning shortly after takeoff near the airport in the capital city of Tehran, according to Iranian state-run television.

Comment

UR-PSR
      https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...r-psr#23732569

O M G !

Click image for larger version

Name:	UR-PSR.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	1077752

Comment

It looks like a normal take-off and climb in the altitude and speed chart, and the chart suddenly ends. It must have been something catastrophic, which may be compatible with some reports and some youtube videos that claim/show the plane falling on fire before crashing. I don't really know if the reports are true and if the videos are from this plane or something else (like a military rocket), though. Initial speculation in social media leans to the airplane being shot down. But short of calling it BS, I call unconfirmed, unsubstantiated, and not credible (yet).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

In this news clip you can see the plane coming down. Doesn't look like its on fire to me, just its lights.: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/m...hnk/index.html

Comment

Too far away, but looks like more than lights. It seems like the engine(s) are flaming and maybe ejecting something. Unless that is the fuselage itself. Look at the very end just before impact. It really flares up. It was on fire in some way.

Zoomed:

Comment

Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
              Too far away, but looks like more than lights. It seems like the engine(s) are flaming and maybe ejecting something. Unless that is the fuselage itself. Look at the very end just before impact. It really flares up. It was on fire in some way.

Zoomed:

Yup, I stand corrected, seeing it close up, it does appear to be on fire.

Comment

The size of the debris field depicted on avherald.com suggests an in-flight breakup, perhaps due to the explosion that appears to occur just before the impact explosion on that video (if that is indeed the airplane) or perhaps the explosion is the result of an in-flight breakup. The final position shown on avherald also suggests a possible turn-back before that explosion occurred.

It seems to me that there was an initial event that both caused a fire and took out the transponder, followed by an attempt to return (or just a loss-of-control descending turn) while rapidly losing height, followed by a catastrophic in-flight event at very low height.

That catastrophic event could be a structural failure or a fire-induced fuel tank explosion. There is also a photo on avherald showing what appears to be a tailpipe section with what appears to be outward punctures of the casing. That might indicate uncontained engine failure although it could have occured during the impact as well.

So, right now, I see this as either 1) a catastrophic engine failure resulting in a fuel tank explosion or structural failure, or 2) an errononeous anti-aircraft strike during a very tense military operation or 3) an act of terrorism. I can't fathom any other explanation.

It's hard, given the circumstances, to not think a military strike is involved here, but the timing could be coincidental and there are other possible explanations. The most difficult part for me is accounting for the sudden loss of transponder signal. A proximity-fused missile detonating in front of the aircraft could account for the immediate loss of signal, absence of coms and the engine damage.

Comment

I don't know if there is really something in these pictures or if people is trying to see things. I also don't know if the punctures are outward or inward.

https://www.infobae.com/america/mundo/2020/01/08/las-dudas-y-contradicciones-sobre-por-que-se-estrello-el-avion-ucraniano-que-dejo-176-muertos-en-teheran/

Name:	KSVCWSKOVNAGFLEF2SX4HTDMIQ.jpg
Views:	1439
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	1077812

Name:	P3UKSMPVUVEM5A3YCAO3ZN3MMM.jpg
Views:	2364
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	1077811

Name:	UFXIIUQJUNBNNILA4WWHKEC3Y4.jpg
Views:	1805
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	1077810

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    I don't know if there is really something in these pictures or if people is trying to see things. I also don't know if the punctures are outward or inward.
                    Looks a lot like shrapnel damage to me. The punctures on the wing and the fuselage could be due to uncontained engine failure, but obviously not on the vertical stabilizer.

Also looks a bit like MH-17..............

(could also be dirt or damage from the impact)

Comment

iran has already announced it will NOT turn the recorders over to boeing or the NTSB.

who wants to bet that no outside investigators will be permitted into this mess? i'm gonna lay odds that iran will block everyone. the better to perfect their coverup. the "investigation" will reveal a boeing defect or ukranian maintenance failure.

edit: read that iran claims they will allow ukranian investigators let's see.....

Comment

In addition to the Cpt and FO, there was a 12K hour instructor pilot in the cockpit. The Cpt had 11k hours. There were also 6 flight attendants. The cause of this crash has to be made known. If it was a shootdown, the wreckage alone will tell the story. That wreckage must be shared with international investigators, or international flights must be banned from flying into and out of Iran. The world is a mess of corruption but the aviation industry still has integrity. I hope the industry steps up here and draws a line.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

i'm gonna lay odds that iran will block everyone. the better to perfect their coverup. the "investigation" will reveal a boeing defect or ukranian maintenance failure.
                          Well that won't carry much weight without real evidence.

My guess is the Iranians will have a "quick" investigation, and if/when they are confident they are not to blame they will then let the Europeans in to give the investigation credibility.

Comment

isn't that exist some kind of agreement between two countries that should an accident occurred both countries shall have the authority to carry out investigation and to access the black box data?

Comment

Originally posted by HansPeter View Post

Well that won't carry much weight without real evidence.

My guess is the Iranians will have a "quick" investigation, and if/when they are confident they are not to blame they will then let the Europeans in to give the investigation credibility.
                              since when do rogue states like iran care about what carries weight, or the truth for that matter?

Comment

Working...
                              X