Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    The pilot, Ara Zobayan, was instrument rated and an instrument instructor pilot.
    Well, then...he COULD have used some better navigation techniques...and IDEALLY should have filed and/or declared an emergency, rather than flying through apparently hazardous terrain with apparently bad visibility...

Bad judgment loses...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

I am pretty sure that the S 76 has an auto pilot!
      yes, a Four-axis fully coupled autopilot along with:bloody shame. let's see what if anything the CVR reveals

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

yes, a Four-axis fully coupled autopilot along with:bloody shame. let's see what if anything the CVR reveals
        All those things + rating, plus a big celebrity on board might give someone a lot of confidence...

Comment

Interesting eyewitness account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28QYy8lrww8

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee
            That's probably not EGPWS, meaning it doesn't 'look ahead', so it tells you about the hillside right about the time you smack into it. DItto for the radalt.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee
              bloody shame. let's see what if anything the CVR reveals
              No CVR:

Originally posted by NYTimes
              The helicopter was not carrying a cockpit voice recorder.

Comment

That's probably not EGPWS, meaning it doesn't 'look ahead', so it tells you about the hillside right about the time you smack into it. DItto for the radalt.
                any TCAS on the helicopter?

Comment

Based on ATC communications in the improper other thread, it appears they were working with ATC and possibly navigating VFR and SOME of the weather was “OK”...Not that there wouldn’t typically be obscured mountains. Time for the cockpit thought reporter data.

And given ALL of the crazy amount of $ sunk into things, how about GPS/Synthetic vision? I stand behind the bolded part as an ass-hat outsider and proclaim that we should do this.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Based on ATC communications in the improper other thread, it appears they were working with ATC and possibly navigating VFR and SOME of the weather was “OK”...Not that there wouldn’t typically be obscured mountains. Time for the cockpit thought reporter data.

And given ALL of the crazy amount of $ sunk into things, how about GPS/Synthetic vision? I stand behind the bolded part as an ass-hat outsider and proclaim that we should do this.
                    Synthvision would have been ideal, but it is a six-figure investment from what I’ve seen. We’re talking about a 29 year old helicopter with a fairly high maintenance cost. I doubt it would make economic sense.

However, I’m a fan of the pay-to-play model here. If the FAA required all commercial transport aircraft operating in areas of potential IMC below 1000AGL to have synthvision, and that reg knocked some small players out of those markets, I would embrace that idea. LA has too many choppers as it is and too many wealthy individuals are spewing immense carbon just to jet around above the traffic.

Comment

Said several times he was at 1400ft. My guess is he's trying to stay "1000 ft above a populated area". Comes a time to slow down, go down or turn around and find a better route like over the water???

Comment

News today saying that no GPWS installed on this aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

News today saying that no GPWS installed on this aircraft.
                          I think if it ever did have GWPS, it was probably torn out midflight and cast overboard. Useless here. Predictive EGWPS/TAWS is another story.

Also, there was no co-pilot installed on this aircraft. Where do they draw that line anyway? I think it's quite common to have two pilots on a medium-left helicopter like this one. Really, anything in revenue carrying over six passengers should be required to.

Comment

I think if it ever did have GWPS, it was probably torn out midflight and cast overboard. Useless here. Predictive EGWPS/TAWS is another story.

Also, there was no co-pilot installed on this aircraft. Where do they draw that line anyway? I think it's quite common to have two pilots on a medium-left helicopter like this one. Really, anything in revenue carrying over six passengers should be required to.
                            I don't know what to tell you there. I am not rotorctaft rated, and like most fixed wing pilot's, I am not a fan.

Comment

Nice pun BB - fixed wing-not a fan HAHAHA

Comment

NTSB investigator just confirmed that there were no black box on the helicopter. but they found an iPad onboard which may contain some navigation information to assist investigation.

Comment

Working...
                                X