Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

    Reportedly an S-76. It crashed into a hillside in Calabasas, California around 10am today. 5 reported dead. No word on the suspected cause as of yet.

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51256756

  • #2
    One witness mentioned that there was no dense black smoke, only thin grey smoke as in this photo. I also see no signs of significant fire. Fuel exhaustion?

    Click image for larger version  Name:	8423c113-c660-48dc-8f8d-4494019f157f.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	1079404 Click image for larger version

Name:	kobe-bryant-helicopter.jpg
Views:	3374
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1079406

    Comment


    • #3
      Reportedly, the 5 fatalities are Kobe and one of his 4 daughters (they were going to a basketball game where she would play), a teammate of her daughter, her father, and the pilot.

      --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

      Comment


      • #4
        The wreckage in the crash photo does not appear to be the same helo as the one he is seen standing in front of. It might have been a charter.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here is the same registration N72EX in a livery that resembles the wreckage. N72EX was owned by Island Express Holding Corporation d.b.a. IEX Helicopters. This is a 1991 build S-76.


          Click image for larger version  Name:	33056158464_88aec97ea3_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.5 KB ID:	1079411

          N76ILL (this could be the same aircraft under a previous registration - N76ILL is not currently in the FAA database ).


          Click image for larger version  Name:	s-76b_n761ll.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.3 KB ID:	1079409

          Comment


          • #6
            The flight track follows the Ventura highway into a slight canyon, turns left between hills and continues this left hand turn into the hillside. Reports of fog in the area. ----- Evan wondering about fuel exhaustion.....If you look at the flight track you will see they spent time circling an area half way through the flight, burning fuel.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JeffInDFW View Post
              The flight track follows the Ventura highway into a slight canyon, turns left between hills and continues this left hand turn into the hillside. Reports of fog in the area. ----- Evan wondering about fuel exhaustion.....If you look at the flight track you will see they spent time circling an area half way through the flight, burning fuel.....
              Can't help but speculate. The latest reports day there were 9 aboard including the pilot(s). I've never seen an executive S-76 set up for more than 7-8. A pax load like that might restrict fuel. An-unplanned orbit somewhere might not have been factored in. Still, how do you crash a helicopter over land due to fuel exhaustion?

              Comment


              • #8
                Terrible tragic news. Local TV news is reporting that in addition to Kobe's daughter, the Orange Coast College head basketball coach, and his wife and daughter, were also on board. Long distance photo of the crash site attached so you can gauge the topography, courtesy of LA County Sheriffs.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	EPOlPzcVAAEfkVc.jfif
Views:	2552
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1079425

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Evan View Post

                  Can't help but speculate. The latest reports day there were 9 aboard including the pilot(s). I've never seen an executive S-76 set up for more than 7-8. A pax load like that might restrict fuel. An-unplanned orbit somewhere might not have been factored in. Still, how do you crash a helicopter over land due to fuel exhaustion?
                  My thoughts exactly. I know someone who owns both a helicopter and plane and he says if there are any problems with the copter, you put that sucker down right away.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Schwartz View Post

                    My thoughts exactly. I know someone who owns both a helicopter and plane and he says if there are any problems with the copter, you put that sucker down right away.
                    Well, in the case of at twin, you should have time to do that safely. Unless, transmission failure, tail rotor failure, or fuel issues. This could also be CFIT, given the reports.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      O.M.G.
                      It's so sad.
                      R.I.P.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Flight track with ATC audio. Flying SVFR. https://youtu.be/B0pQfgi9ZqU

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This says a lot in itself. Look at the steep climb at the end. Flying into the hills at low altitude and limited visibility at the speed they were going.....https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...1708Z/tracklog

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            This could also be CFIT, given the reports.
                            Ya think?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

                              Ya think?
                              That's what I'm thinking...Todays news depicts a high speed crash...cumulo granite.

                              We cold be wrong, but it clearly fits.

                              Not calling for NEW regulations, etc, but I was surprised to learn [ATL] that lots of COMMERCIAL helicopter pilots are not instrument rated...I know it's a much different world AND a different need, but seems to me there's a practical side to going into clouds, tuning a navigation thingie and going where you need to go with all the good protections IFR provides. (Ok, not exactly in that order, but...)

                              [No indication if this pilot was instrument rated nor current nor a whole bunch of stuff including fuel status (although there was a decent fire)- will have to wait for the final report.]
                              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X