Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Plane skids off runway in Sabiha Gokcen International airport in Istanbul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING: Plane skids off runway in Sabiha Gokcen International airport in Istanbul

BREAKING: Plane skids off runway in Sabiha Gokcen International airport in Istanbul; unknown if there are victims.

https://twitter.com/Hsn_Erydn/status...898821637?s=19

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...c-izk#23c3e44e

Attached Files

When I was a Chief Pilot, one of my crew landing in Brussels. Light freezing rain and sanded runway. Turned off at the end of runway, then turned again up parallel taxiway. Started sliding at 45 deg angle, luckily across a vacant ramp. Captain can't steer, CoPilot reaches over and shuts all four engines down. Called for a tug, answer "We will call You back in a couple hours".

Comment

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
      When I was a Chief Pilot, one of my crew landing in Brussels. Light freezing rain and sanded runway. Turned off at the end of runway, then turned again up parallel taxiway. Started sliding at 45 deg angle, luckily across a vacant ramp. Captain can't steer, CoPilot reaches over and shuts all four engines down. Called for a tug, answer "We will call You back in a couple hours".
      Ouch! Was it a couple of hours before you got a tug? Longer? Happy passengers? Cargo?
      CarolW
      Broom navigator

Comment

I heard that the plane touched down 6400ft down the runway, with only 3300 feet remaining. Why they didn’t go around in the 3400 feet they remained in the air beyond the final touchdown marker, I have no idea.

Comment

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Latest reports indicates that out of 177 persons on board (171 pax + 6 crew), 1 perished and 155 resulted injured, some of them seriously. Apparently some persons were trapped in the plane and had to be freed by the rescue team.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaw!!! Ride that pony!

20kts tailwind component, contaminated runway, still floating 3000ft past the threshold and no go-around.

If I owned a pizza hut, I wouldn't hire these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

20kts tailwind component, contaminated runway, still floating 6400fr past the threshold and no go-around.

Fixeed. By then they had 3000 ft of wet runway remaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

20kts tailwind component with higher gusts, contaminated runway, still floating 6400ft past the threshold and no go-around.

There's no fixing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    Latest reports indicates that out of 177 persons on board (171 pax + 6 crew), 1 perished and 155 resulted injured, some of them seriously. Apparently some persons were trapped in the plane and had to be freed by the rescue team.
                    Update: 177 passengers and 6 crew on board (total 183, that was a quite full flight!). 3 passengers died, 179 people were taken to hospitals with injuries (including 3 that are in intensive care). That would mean only 1 person uninjured.

Comment

My crew in Brussels. It was a freighter in the early morning and they waited for an hour or two before being towed down to the freight ramp. Discussion with my boss: yes the aircraft is certified to fly in icing conditions and the crews do that on a regular basis, but how much time do you have driving a high speed tri-cycle on slippery conditions and then runways are always addressed first and the taxiways last.

Comment

Working...
                      X