Exciting landing and a lot of Rudder Deflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting landing and a lot of Rudder Deflection

There were some pretty exciting landings during the storms in europe yesterday.

Storm Ciara and Sturm Sabine caused lots of trouble at various european airports within the past two days. Lots of airplane at London Heathrow were forced to...

I remember a vigorous debate here at one point about rudder deflections.

I was surprised on some of the nose down approaches that corrected at what seemed the last minute...

Interesting! Brave pilots! Thanks for the post!
    CarolW
    Broom navigator

Comment

Originally posted by Schwartz View Post
      I remember a vigorous debate here at one point about rudder deflections.
      Reversals, not deflections, of which there are none to be seen in that video. For good reason. It wasn't a vigorous debate. It was an idiotic debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        It wasn't a vigorous debate. It was an idiotic debate.
        Says the person who has never landed a plane nor ridden a bike. Or even ridden planes enough to feel or notice the forbidden rudder reversal.

The video was nice, but in some ways on the mild side compared to a lot of others. Most of the landings seemed to be well managed as well as being in a relatively stable wind.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

The 2nd landing was horrible, especially harsh on the nose gear.
          The 2 747s, the most beautiful and graceful.
          Very few (I think only one) used the traditional technique of lowering the up-wind wing and de-crabing. Some de-crabed with rudder without banking into the wind. Most just accepted touching down in a crab and correcting with rudder once on the ground (which is a perfectly good technique for an airliner).

The nose-down attitude of many of the planes is probably the result of approaching with Vref + a lot (and hence with a lower-than-normal AoA) to account for gusts.

Pilots seemed to be enjoying the opportunity of hand-flying some landings in fun conditions.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

The pilots may have been loving it but the pax not so much (different airport): https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...-in-amsterdam/
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Pilots seemed to be enjoying the opportunity of hand-flying some landings in fun conditions.
              Hmmmmm....... you’re in the front end of plane that’s bounding all over the place whilst descending at a fair rate of knots towards a static, unforgiving layer of cumulo-tarmacus.

I don’t think I would describe that as fun ! Try uuum ..... attention grabbing ! ...... or ..... Bowel loosening !

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post

Hmmmmm....... you’re in the front end of plane that’s bounding all over the place whilst descending at a fair rate of knots towards a static, unforgiving layer of cumulo-tarmacus.

I don’t think I would describe that as fun ! Try uuum ..... attention grabbing ! ...... or ..... Bowel loosening !
                Actually Brian, it is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

Actually Brian, it is fun!
                  The pilots were so skillful that I got that feeling too. Of course, I have nooooooooo way to assess properly, as brooms are very different from airliners. <deadpan> or <livepan> as the case may be.

CarolW
                  Broom navigator

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                    The pilots may have been loving it but the pax not so much (different airport): https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...-in-amsterdam/
                    5 go-arounds followed by a return to Madrid. Definitely not fun for the passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post

5 go-arounds followed by a return to Madrid. Definitely not fun for the passengers.
                      Now you see why flying cargo is much better. Boxes don't scream, cry or bitch!

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post

Are you kidding? That's for the passengers, but for the pilots? Most pilots LOVE flying and having to "fight" it a bit is so much more fun that cruising straight and level in super smooth air.

For the passengers it is another story (even for passengers that happen to be pilots, and I would say even for the pilot monitoring in the cockpit). But for the one actually handling the controls, this makes your day.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

Now you see why flying cargo is much better. Boxes don't scream, cry or bitch!
                          Would you agree that the pilot's flying experience is also better because you also don't have to empathize with the boxes and think on their physical and emotional comfort, so you can fly in ways that you wouldn't if these things were self-aware scient human beings? (always within parameters but you know... slightly steeper turns and higher roll rates, not being so cautious with the pitch rate when changing the vertical speed, etc...).

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Would you agree that the pilot's flying experience is also better because you also don't have to empathize with the boxes and think on their physical and emotional comfort, so you can fly in ways that you wouldn't if these things were self-aware scient human beings? (always within parameters but you know... slightly steeper turns and higher roll rates, not being so cautious with the pitch rate when changing the vertical speed, etc...).
                            Better experience, not necessarily. Steeper turns, slips etc. Yes.

Comment

Can you spot the autolands?

Comment

Working...
                              X