No announcement yet.

Exciting landing and a lot of Rudder Deflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say NONE! Probably all beyond autoland limits. Plus you then miss out on the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      I would say NONE! Probably all beyond autoland limits. Plus you then miss out on the fun.
      Concur, I was about to say exactly the same 2 things. I don't know what are the autoland limit but I've heard that while they are excellent for extremely low ceiling and visibility (down t zero) they don't manage gusting crosswinds and turbulence that well. That said, I don't understand why. What can a human perceive and how can a human react than a computer can't? (in this context, I mean)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

25 knot x-wind 15 tail-wind in the 74 comes to mind. Don't remember gust factor but if you are really interested I can find out for you. Some things you gotta do by hand.

Comment

Don't know what the winds were here but the 74 and the 77 can autoland up to 25kts crosswind (although I think some operators can raise those limits / the max tested crosswind on the 77 is 38kts).

On the 737 it gets trickier because standard NG's have no rudder channel and I've read that if you enter manual rudder under autoflight it will react with roll to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Don't know what the winds were here but the 74 and the 77 can autoland up to 25kts crosswind (although I think some operators can raise those limits / the max tested crosswind on the 77 is 38kts).

On the 737 it get's trickier because standard NG's have no rudder channel and I've read that if you enter manual rudder under autoflight it will react with roll to compensate.
            Isn't that kind of what I just said? Not sure if an operator can raise them, but definitely lower them for company operations.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
              The pilots may have been loving it but the pax not so much (different airport): https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...-in-amsterdam/
              one would think that after NOT crashing or exploding in the first few minutes of some mild chop, these hystrionic pax would get it--they are not going to die. not that day anyway....

Comment

Yeah but then they'd never get their 15 minutes of fame...
                Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Here is a slightly livelier set from England. Now, those prop planes look like a lot more fun or not. For some reason ATR landings in high crosswinds always look wrong to me...

Storm Ciara causing disruption to flights in and out of UK airports 10/02/20. Gusts crossing the runway at up to 52mph.To be notified of regular aviation upl...

Comment

When in doubt, plant it.

Use rudder and aileron appropriately.

Despite what Evan says, I don't think it's valid to pause at neutral and count to four before passing neutral.
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      When in doubt, plant it.

Despite what Evan says, I don't think it's valid to pause at neutral and count to four before passing neutral.
                      At approach/landing speeds there is no way to ovestress the airframe anyway. You will loose control and spin fall crash burn die first.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

The testing ground at Moses Lake.

Comment

The testing ground at Moses Lake.

https://youtu.be/_z2LtHrn9Jw
                          My instructor would have cursed me if I used that crosswind technique. Of course, the Tomahawk doesn't have big engines under the wings so you can happily dip the upwind wing and de-crab with no risk of engine strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

My instructor would have cursed me if I used that crosswind technique. Of course, the Tomahawk doesn't have big engines under the wings so you can happily dip the upwind wing and de-crab with no risk of engine strike.
                            That is what they want you to do in the large jets. Wing down and opposite rudder still worked for me. A hard habit to break.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

At approach/landing speeds there is no way to ovestress the airframe anyway. You will loose control and spin fall crash burn die first.
                              Oh, that's a relief.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                                When in doubt, plant it.

Despite what Evan never said, I don't think it's valid to pause at neutral and count to four before passing neutral.
                                Why? Are you in a hurry to get the PIO going?

Comment

Working...
                                X