If the Blue Angels flew MD-80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post

There appear to be pax on this one if I'm not mistaken.
    That one was a pax flight, I was there to see the takeoff for the original photo of this thread and I can confirm that it was actually a low transition takeoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      I would like to see a video or more pictures. I don't think that that "low transition take-off" is that low. The runway is so much below the the plane that it is not visible (out of frame), and the plane with that pitch attitude has to be climbing (not leveled-off turning all the excess power in speed).

We (no italics) do low-transition take-offs every time we (no italics) practice soft-field take-offs. Not a pax jet, of course, but not a military jet either.
      Hey! indeed it was a low transition takeoff

Comment

Originally posted by dfwairport.jpg View Post

That one was a pax flight, I was there to see the takeoff for the original photo of this thread and I can confirm that it was actually a low transition takeoff.
        Sure it was. Boy has this site gone to s**t.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Like for example? Before answering, remember that...

... what buys you time is energy. Engine failure? Extra speed is at least as good as extra altitude. Windshear? Extra speed is at least as good as extra altitude. Not only you can exchange the extra speed for altitude at your discretion, but extra speed gives you a lower AoA (more stall margin), a higher achievable load factor to arrest a descent for example (because both you have more AoA available to increase and each degree of AoA gives you more lift when you go faster) and more control authority. And extra speed can be converted in climb rate much more quickly that altitude can be converted in speed.

If you have the same take-off thrust, you will gain about the same amount of energy every second, the only difference is whether you store it as altitude or speed. But the energy will be there is needed, and if it is not enough when you have it in the form of speed, it will be hardly enough in the form of altitude.
          You have that tendency to think in the Boeing philosophy: that every pilot will always perform correctly and predictably. Put aside the things that could cause a plane to suddenly lose 25' of height and just consider the pilot errors that could cause this. We don't know the quality of the pilots here, or, more importantly, the other pilots who might be inspired to pull this off. What we do know is that any stooge can do a shallow rotation and then pull in the gear while accelerating. What could go wrong...

Even when there a
          re no obstacles to consider, Vy provides a greater margin of safety between pilot error (or other factors) and the ground. The safest SOP is to get altitude as quickly as this allows.

Because aviation safety is all about margins and safest options.

(On this ferry flight, I don't much care what they do and it makes for an impressive spectacle. I'm just pointing out why we don't want this in revenue takeoffs)

Comment

good lord you people are bored! safety culture, bad sop, bad habits. christ! the same can be said of the blue angels, thunderbirds and the rest of the exhibition flying groups. but we don't complain about them. why not? uh, well, the answer is obvious and so is the answer for why those pilots did this on the final flight of this particular aircraft. if y'all don't get it i feel sorry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
              good lord you people are bored! safety culture, bad sop, bad habits. christ! the same can be said of the blue angels, thunderbirds and the rest of the exhibition flying groups. but we don't complain about them. why not? uh, well, the answer is obvious and so is the answer for why those pilots did this on the final flight of this particular aircraft. if y'all don't get it i feel sorry for you.
              Valid comments & LOL. Thanks.

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                Imagine how much fun someone like Evan might be in a quarantine. "Honey, you're unwrapping that toilet paper wrong!"

Comment

i'm just beginning day 3 of my quarantine. i don't imagine i'll bemuch fun to be around after a few more days...

Comment

Working...
                  X