• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hans Solo Incident(x)

Or should I say, more correctly, Han(x) Solo Incidents:

Is the count up to 5 now?

Ban all pilots over 60.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Or should I say, more correctly, Han(x) Solo Incidents:

Ban all pilots over 60.
    I hope the part about age 60 is a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

I hope the part about age 60 is a joke?
      Banning all aviation is probably more effective.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Crashed a helicopter.
        Crashed in a golf course.
        Landed on an active taxiway.
        Crossed an active runway.
        Landed inside a giant asteroid worm.

Yeah, that's five.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Crashed a helicopter.

Yeah, that's five.
          Doesn't know his time units from distance units.

That's six.

Comment

active taxiway
            Were passengers seated and seat belts in use?

Comment

Crashed a helicopter.

Yeah, that's five.
              I think there was a wing strike landing accident too.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Did ATC really say "continue holding short"????

I blame both ATC for speaking unintelligibly and Han Solo for not requesting confirmation, but more ATC.

Your support is really important and appreciated to keep these videos coming! =)-- https://www.patreon.com/VASAviation-- https://paypal.me/VASAviationAudio s...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  Did ATC really say "continue holding short"????

I blame both ATC for speaking unintelligibly and Han Solo for not requesting confirmation, but more ATC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU0BmAWtz5c
                  The controller does speak the 'hold short' part unintelligibly (even beyond ATC, so many Americans have begun to speak too fast and blur or swallow their words) but 'traffic on the runway' is clear enough. I would also expect Hans Solo to ask for a confirrmation if he thought the message was 'cross 25, traffic on the runway" because that donna maka no sense.

Hopefully, investigators deal with the failures on both sides.

Comment

1. The controller does speak the 'hold short' part unintelligibly, 2. 'traffic on the runway
                    1. Yes
                    2. No..."Traffic DEPARTING runway 25" is more like it.

By the way- I have a beer that says Han heard, expedite across the runway, so I can clear this guy for takeoff"...(consistent with his immediate power up).

Another funny swiss cheese...In the olden days, you'd grab a microphone, key it, talk, and hang it back up AND THEN act (in general)...that little extra second...now everyone is headset and thumb- enabling Han to hit the power before he even acknowledges.

Concur, there's always been too many "style points" around talking fast and using "perfect phraseology". In this case the controller is all about fast talking...Do we need better screening of folks for clear voices?

Could there be some lost fundamentals that you be clear...

I will fault both sides- I think the word CROSS is what Han should have wanted to hear...yeah, the controller wanted him to continue holding short.

I've always loved the pet peeve of "with you". Indeed that conveys no information, but it establishes context (I.E. Situational Awareness)

Who are you, Why are you calling.

Comment

I've always loved the pet peeve of "with you". Indeed that conveys no information, but it establishes context (I.E. Situational Awareness)

Who are you,
                      I'm Nxxxxx, which presumably is an airplane in your airspace.

Why are you calling.
                      To let you know I'm on the frequency and will hear any instructions/info you care to give me.

It's not super-clear, but not terribly unclear either, given proper context. And does serve a useful purpose in communication (IMO).
                      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
                      X