The Dangers of Long-Term Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaw View Post
    Yeah but I have to think that from time to time there are circumstances where a plane must sit outside "wherever" for a period of time... if they're waiting on a part or something. Or it's an unused airliner owned by someone that doesn't have access to a nice dry storage area. And you think they'd have procedures for that - yeah I know, famous last words...
    Of course they have procedures. But is there oversight? Part of the issue is, as 3WE pointed out, local climate and humidity and various local critters, but even in the desert, if you plan to return that thing to service, specific pains must be taken. Usually, if aircraft are taken out of service for months at a time, they are placed under the care of specialized storage maintenance facilities. I don't think this is the case right now. I'm seeing a lot of images of fleets grounded at the hubs. Staff cuts... lack of revenue... bankruptcies looming... How forgiving will the oversight be under these circumstances, and what consequences might that lead to?

Comment

Or we MIGHT catch Coronavirus where there's between 0.5 and 5% risk of death.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Of course they have procedures. But is there oversight? Part of the issue is, as 3WE pointed out, local climate and humidity and various local critters, but even in the desert, if you plan to return that thing to service, specific pains must be taken. Usually, if aircraft are taken out of service for months at a time, they are placed under the care of specialized storage maintenance facilities. I don't think this is the case right now. I'm seeing a lot of images of fleets grounded at the hubs. Staff cuts... lack of revenue... bankruptcies looming... How forgiving will the oversight be under these circumstances, and what consequences might that lead to?
        Why bother asking a question to which no answer will be acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

methinks they may be rhetorical

Comment

Not enough for you, I fear. Just like for everything else
            Why bother answering a question with something like that? Should I find that acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              Or we MIGHT catch Coronavirus where there's between 0.5 and 5% risk of death.
              Which are higher odds than a deadly plane crash......................... if the plane is properly maintained. I would not be getting on a plane with those odds ever. C'mon people, you seriously think someplace like airlines in Indonesia for example are treating the "procedures" to every last word like it were a religious book? To say areas of the world that have a history of cutting the corners on safety issues are likely not taking care of their grounded fleet properly is not far fetched. And I only chose one country whose airlines has a bad history as an example, it could apply to many airlines and areas with a bad safety history.

It really be no shock if you heard of some incidents of planes at the very least having to return to the airport for malfunctions because of improper maintenance when things get back to "normal", whatever the hell "normal" is suppose to be on this crazy rock we call Earth. Evan is just bringing it up and its pretty damn valid. He will be able to say "I told you so now" too which I am sure he enjoys!

Comment

Originally posted by KGEG View Post
                its pretty damn valid.
                Said it before- NOT using something can sometimes cause more "wear and tear" than using it.

The question is valid, but the general disdain that the industry is going to be stupid improvisational cowboy monkeys about it...

Bottom line: No major disconcurment.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by KGEG View Post
                  It really be no shock if you heard of some incidents of planes at the very least having to return to the airport for malfunctions because of improper maintenance when things get back to "normal", whatever the hell "normal" is suppose to be on this crazy rock we call Earth. Evan is just bringing it up and its pretty damn valid. He will be able to say "I told you so now" too which I am sure he enjoys!
                  No, Evan really doesn't enjoy saying that.

I'm concerned with things like engine failure (corrosion, lubrication, seals), pressurization issues or decompression (corrosion, seals), hydraulic failures (hoses, pumps), flap/slat issues (corrosion, hydrauilics), fume events (seals), fuel contamination (fungus, mold), cabin air quality (fungus, mold), probe and port obstruction or malfunction (remember those AoA vanes?) and high-speed tire failure. And then there is the swiss cheese of things.

There is a reason why stored aircraft are normally repositioned to logistics facilities like Victorville and Goodyear. AFAIK, a lot of smaller operators are now wading into DIY long-term storage. Is that not cause for concern? Hopefully there is oversight from the CAA's as well as the manufacturers, but there are places where I highly doubt that is true.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

methinks they may be rhetorical
                    As were mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X