X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    I'm not worried about the aeroplanie crapping out, but the smell of fried mouse, mouse hair, mouse pee and mouse poop (maybe bird and insect nests too) from the AC system might make me want to kill my self...Maybe they can toss some fresh-scent bounce drier sheets into the front of the jet engine intakes before each flight?
    I'm more confident that airlines will keep the mice and bugs away. That's the obvious part. I'm more concerned with stealth issues like corrosion and lack of fluids circulating where fluids are needed, like hoses and seals. There are special lubricants that must be applied for long term storage, as mentioned in Alex's posted link above. One possibility that concerns me is a rise in cabin fume incidents as a result of failing engine seals. Another is catastrophic engine failure from undetected corrosion and metal fatigue.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

I'm wondering how much oversight there is for this, especially in the developing world. It easy to imagine an airline fighting for financial survival choosing to cut a few corners here, and there are a lot of corners. We don't wan't to see failures or accidents down the road attributed to issues incurred by improper long-term storage preperations or maintenance.
    I'm not worried about the aeroplanie crapping out, but the smell of fried mouse, mouse hair, mouse pee and mouse poop (maybe bird and insect nests too) from the AC system might make me want to kill my self...Maybe they can toss some fresh-scent bounce drier sheets into the front of the jet engine intakes before each flight?

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
    3WE : where does that quote in french come from?
    Google translate.

Gabriel doesn’t like it.

He prefers:

L'angle d'attaque est la vie.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

Not enough for you, I fear. Just like for everything else.
    Unfair, but also unsurprising. What is happening now is unprecedented. There's no precedent for entire fleets being grounded in place for so long around the world. I feel pretty confident that Delta will take very good care of its equipment, but there are a lot of airlines out there that seem to take a more improvisational approach to maintenance and their airplanes occasionally make emergency landings or drop out of the sky as a result. I doubt there is adequate oversight in these places, or really anywhere, for something of this scale. I really, really don't want to read about a spate of uncontained engine failures and other hairy incidents, let alone a crash, this summer linked to improper ground storage issues. Yet, I sort of feel this premonition...

Leave a comment:

• ATLcrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

I'm wondering how much oversight there is for this...
    Not enough for you, I fear. Just like for everything else.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
    short but some interesting basic infos : https://airlinegeeks.com/2020/04/12/...t-for-storage/

Here in GVA Swiss moves the 330 around the tarmac every week for the brakes (from what I heard) but I suppose they aren't consider as "long-term"

3WE : where does that quote in french come from ? Just curious
    I'm wondering how much oversight there is for this, especially in the developing world. It easy to imagine an airline fighting for financial survival choosing to cut a few corners here, and there are a lot of corners. We don't wan't to see failures or accidents down the road attributed to issues incurred by improper long-term storage preperations or maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    short but some interesting basic infos : https://airlinegeeks.com/2020/04/12/...t-for-storage/

Here in GVA Swiss moves the 330 around the tarmac every week for the brakes (from what I heard) but I suppose they aren't consider as "long-term"

3WE : where does that quote in french come from ? Just curious

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    I read an internet article that said there are procedures.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    started a topic The Dangers of Long-Term Storage

The Dangers of Long-Term Storage

They say airframes age mostly on the ground. What dangers does the current fleetwide groundings present? What could be the result of improper storage or non-standard storage? What is required? I've read that planes must be moved regularly to avoid tire damage. Do engines need to be run at specific intervals to avoid corrosion or blockages or cracking in hoses, etc.? Some of these fleets seem to be stored at hubs rather than the arid conditions of the desert. What about airframe corrosion? Should there be a special inspection given to these aircraft before returning them to service? Asking for a friend.
Working...
X