Pakistan plane crash: Jet carrying 107 people crashes into houses near airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

That is the question, and I know the answer: By having airlines WANT to weed out these pilots.
    This pilot was regard in PIA as THE BEST, THE HOT SHOT, it was a Training Captain and Chief Instructor in the airline.

... So the questions is how do we weed out airlines and management and regulators and policy makers that permit a safety culture that in turn permits or even promotes these pilots to be in the cockpit and being regarded as role models..
    Wise words. Is it correct that immediately after the crash, the Pakistan equivalent of the CAA suddenly discovered 260 of their certified pilots had obtained their certifications by fraudulent means (e.g. having someone else sit the exam for them etc)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post

TeeVee, first you need to get the facts of the case straight. We ban (or should ban) states when their civil aviation authority is deemed unreliable in policing the airlines in their charge. AF447 revealed serious shortcomings at Air France, the airline, but not the BEA, the civil agency. I think arguing that Pakistan has a reliable CAA (the PCAA) at ths point would be a certain waste of your time.
      Got to say (for what my personal opinion is worth on something like this) that I'm with Evan on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
        Is it correct that immediately after the crash, the Pakistan equivalent of the CAA suddenly discovered 260 of their certified pilots had obtained their certifications by fraudulent means (e.g. having someone else sit the exam for them etc)?
        https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...cli/index.html

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post

I think the crash of Eastern Flt 410 had a lot to do with it. In that case, despite being at or below 2000ft, cockpit crew of 3 with FE in the electronics bay at the time and the other two focused on repairing a gear indicator light.
          I think you meant 401

Comment

• https://youtu.be/G62sSwC4t_g

Comment

• EASA just suspended PIA's authorization

EDIT: BB beat me to it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Myself
                So the questions is how do we weed out airlines and management and regulators and policy makers that permit a safety culture that in turn permits or even promotes these pilots to be in the cockpit and being regarded as role models..
                Originally posted by EASA
                "Pakistan, as the state of the operator [PIA] is currently not able to certify and oversee its operators in accordance to applicable international standards"
                EASA also mentions the hundreds of fake pilots throughout the country, not just in PIA.

I don't understand why they suspended just PIA. Maybe it is the only Pakistani airline flying to Europe, but the normal practice, when you have a breakdown in the system that goes to the regulator (as it is typically the case, because how can you have a breakdown in a single airline if you have a solid regulator) is to ban the country, not individual airlines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

EASA also mentions the hundreds of fake pilots throughout the country, not just in PIA.

I don't understand why they suspended just PIA. Maybe it is the only Pakistani airline flying to Europe, but the normal practice, when you have a breakdown in the system that goes to the regulator (as it is typically the case, because how can you have a breakdown in a single airline if you have a solid regulator) is to ban the country, not individual airlines.
                  Well, a bit late. 40 days too late. Years late really. Why does this stuff always happen after the fact? "Won't happen again..." Wonderful.

AirBlue was the wake up call. The PIC didn't know how the FCU worked. Guess they hit the snooze button on that one.

So... Hello, FAA... Is Pakistan Category 2 yet? How could they not be.

BTW, Category 2 only restricts carriers from expanding into new routes. It's not a ban on existing service.

However, I've noticed on the Wikipedia page that all of PIA's US routes are TERMINATED. So, what happened there?

Pakistan only has one airline serving the EU and North America, and the EU Aviation Safety list bans specific airlines, so I guess that is why the ban is on the operator and not the CAA.

They'll probably just get around this with code-sharing or wet leases.

Comment

• Pariah International Airlines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

Comment

• PIA firing fake pilots

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pakistani...100007466.html

Comment

• Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
                        Only 28 ?

Comment

Working...
                        X