B-767 gear collapse on landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-767 gear collapse on landing

Two B-767s have the same left gear collapse on landing within two weeks of each other. One in Bucharest and one in LAX, curious.

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
    Two B-767s have the same left gear collapse on landing within two weeks of each other. One in Bucharest and one in LAX, curious.
    I doubt they have the same issue in common. One had a main gear that failed to fully deploy. The other had a main that collapsed during the rollout.

What get's me is the rope exit and the seriously injured F/O. Why?

Comment

Back in the day when I flew cargo, DC-9, DC-8, we had a safety rope you threw out the crew window if you couldn't get out another exit.

Comment

Back in the day when I flew cargo, DC-9, DC-8, we had a safety rope you threw out the crew window if you couldn't get out another exit.
        Well, I think that's what happened here but why not the main doors? The plane was resting on one engine with the nose gear several feet off the ground, so perhaps the slides wouldn't reach the ground, and falling from the rope at that height looks like it could hurt. Still, what's the hurry...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Well, I think that's what happened here but why not the main doors? The plane was resting on one engine with the nose gear several feet off the ground, so perhaps the slides wouldn't reach the ground, and falling from the rope at that height looks like it could hurt. Still, what's the hurry...
          According to what I read in the comments section in Avherald and elsewhere, it seems that the 767-F has only one door: 1L (no 1R and the cargo door in the back I don't know how accessible they are or how fit for huma escape), and that 1L it doesn't have an escape slide, only an inertial reel (which still seems like a better option to me).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

The joke in the Douglas aircraft was,"you couldn't get out the window if you were overweight".

Comment

The joke in the Douglas aircraft was,"you couldn't get out the window if you were overweight".
              Could you get the job if you were overweight?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

According to what I read in the comments section in Avherald and elsewhere, it seems that the 767-F has only one door: 1L (no 1R and the cargo door in the back I don't know how accessible they are or how fit for huma escape), and that 1L it doesn't have an escape slide, only an inertial reel (which still seems like a better option to me).
                  767F cargo door is in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

767F cargo door is in the front.
                    My bad, it is between the L1 door and the wing. But I don't know how accessible or fit it is for escape.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

My bad, it is between the L1 door and the wing. But I don't know how accessible or fit it is for escape.
                      Accessibility is not the issue, the fact that it sits awful high and has no slide may be more of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                        Accessibility is not the issue,
                        Ok, I thought you might have cargo blocking the access to it. If the plane is full of cargo in volume I would expect the last piece (pallet, container) to be left just by the door.

Comment

I'm trying to understand why anyone would use the cargo door instead of L1. But first I'm trying to understand why someone would go out the cockpit window in a situation like this. I suspect there is something more to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            I'm trying to understand why anyone would use the cargo door instead of L1. But first I'm trying to understand why someone would go out the cockpit window in a situation like this. I suspect there is something more to the story.
                            Again... what I heard is that L1 doesn't have a slide. And I've heard that it does have inertial reels.
                            I don't know what (if any) of the above is true. But they must have had some reason not to wait for the stairs.

Comment

Again... what I heard is that L1 doesn't have a slide. And I've heard that it does have inertial reels.
                              I don't know what (if any) of the above is true. But they must have had some reason not to wait for the stairs.
                              Well, I doubt the stairs were even an option given the angle the plane was resting at. Big elephant-in-the-cockpit question is: why no slide(s) and why no R1 door? Shouldn't this be an FAA requirement? You must have a route for emergency egress on BOTH sides of the aircraft in case of fire. What sort of cost-saving nonsense is behind deleting the slides? Is the flight crew somehow considered more disposable than passengers? I suppose they just have them sign a litigation waiver and throw them a rope.

Comment

Working...
                              X