the overhead hatch an option.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      Inertial reel out of
      the overhead hatch an option.
      Overhead hatch on a 767?

Comment

Originally posted by EASA
        Aeroplanes with Class E cargo compartment configurations and carrying a certain category of persons have been accepted in past without fully complying with the passenger carrying requirements of CS 25. It is the EASA position that as much as possible requirements applicable to passenger carrying aircraft are applicable to Supernumeraries Compartments.

• Section 25.807(g)(1): – ESF: approval for non-crew persons seated in the flight deck, that the door 1L (Type A) plus the flight deck crew type emergency exits (Windows 2R and 2L) provide acceptable alternative to the two Type III or type IV exits (one on each side) emergency exits required by the regulations.

• Section 25.810(a)(1) – ESF for the requirement for self-supporting slide is justified by providing alternative emergency evacuation assist means, inertia reel and harness for door 1L and existing crew type escape ropes at windows 2R and 2L, and by the fact that the occupants will be physically capable of using these assist means, trained in their usage and briefed by the flight crew in the pre-flight briefing on the operation of these means.
        So, now that there has been a serious injury outcome, perhaps they might revise that thinking. Main thing is, why not just leave the slides as is on L1 and L2? What is the upside of deleting them?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

So, now that there has been a serious injury outcome, perhaps they might revise that thinking. Main thing is, why not just leave the slides as is on L1 and L2? What is the upside of deleting them?
          weight and $$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Overhead hatch on a 767?
            I just assumed it had one like the 74. Looks like because the side windows open (unlike the 74) they didn't put one in. My bad.

Comment

Well, I doubt the stairs were even an option given the angle the plane was resting at. Big elephant-in-the-cockpit question is: why no slide(s) and why no R1 door? Shouldn't this be an FAA requirement? You must have a route for emergency egress on BOTH sides of the aircraft in case of fire. What sort of cost-saving nonsense is behind deleting the slides? Is the flight crew somehow considered more disposable than passengers? I suppose they just have them sign a litigation waiver and throw them a rope.
              Well, there is an FAA requirement for opposite sides escape routes, and to evacuate in 90 seconds using 1/2 of the exits. Even if it had a slide, the L1 door could not be considered an escape path for this requirement due to the lack of an "opposite side" door. I guess that all the escarpe requirements were met with the cockpit windows and ropes, which I would agree is not sensible even if it meets the spec.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I just assumed it had one like the 74. Looks like because the side windows open (unlike the 74) they didn't put one in. My bad.
                And they didn't put inertial reels either for the window escape. Just ropes.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Could be why they had the rope in the coxpit. Looked back at some old pictures I had of the DC-8-9 freighters I flew and neither had an R-1 door.

Comment

I think escape hatches are only used on airframes with side windows which can't be made to slide open, specifically the 747, the L1011, the 787, the A350 and the A220. I think the Dash 8 also has one.

Comment

Working...
                    X