X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

I just assumed it had one like the 74. Looks like because the side windows open (unlike the 74) they didn't put one in. My bad.
    I think escape hatches are only used on airframes with side windows which can't be made to slide open, specifically the 747, the L1011, the 787, the A350 and the A220. I think the Dash 8 also has one.

Leave a comment:

• kent olsen
    replied
    Could be why they had the rope in the coxpit. Looked back at some old pictures I had of the DC-8-9 freighters I flew and neither had an R-1 door.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied

I just assumed it had one like the 74. Looks like because the side windows open (unlike the 74) they didn't put one in. My bad.
    And they didn't put inertial reels either for the window escape. Just ropes.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

Well, I doubt the stairs were even an option given the angle the plane was resting at. Big elephant-in-the-cockpit question is: why no slide(s) and why no R1 door? Shouldn't this be an FAA requirement? You must have a route for emergency egress on BOTH sides of the aircraft in case of fire. What sort of cost-saving nonsense is behind deleting the slides? Is the flight crew somehow considered more disposable than passengers? I suppose they just have them sign a litigation waiver and throw them a rope.
    Well, there is an FAA requirement for opposite sides escape routes, and to evacuate in 90 seconds using 1/2 of the exits. Even if it had a slide, the L1 door could not be considered an escape path for this requirement due to the lack of an "opposite side" door. I guess that all the escarpe requirements were met with the cockpit windows and ropes, which I would agree is not sensible even if it meets the spec.

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    replied

Overhead hatch on a 767?

Leave a comment:

• TeeVee
    replied

So, now that there has been a serious injury outcome, perhaps they might revise that thinking. Main thing is, why not just leave the slides as is on L1 and L2? What is the upside of deleting them?
    weight and $$$$$$$$$$$$

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by EASA
    Aeroplanes with Class E cargo compartment configurations and carrying a certain category of persons have been accepted in past without fully complying with the passenger carrying requirements of CS 25. It is the EASA position that as much as possible requirements applicable to passenger carrying aircraft are applicable to Supernumeraries Compartments.

• Section 25.807(g)(1): – ESF: approval for non-crew persons seated in the flight deck, that the door 1L (Type A) plus the flight deck crew type emergency exits (Windows 2R and 2L) provide acceptable alternative to the two Type III or type IV exits (one on each side) emergency exits required by the regulations.

• Section 25.810(a)(1) – ESF for the requirement for self-supporting slide is justified by providing alternative emergency evacuation assist means, inertia reel and harness for door 1L and existing crew type escape ropes at windows 2R and 2L, and by the fact that the occupants will be physically capable of using these assist means, trained in their usage and briefed by the flight crew in the pre-flight briefing on the operation of these means.
    So, now that there has been a serious injury outcome, perhaps they might revise that thinking. Main thing is, why not just leave the slides as is on L1 and L2? What is the upside of deleting them?

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Inertial reel out of
    the overhead hatch an option.
    Overhead hatch on a 767?

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    replied
    Inertial reel out of
    the overhead hatch an option.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Again... what I heard is that L1 doesn't have a slide. And I've heard that it does have inertial reels.
    I don't know what (if any) of the above is true. But they must have had some reason not to wait for the stairs.
    Well, I doubt the stairs were even an option given the angle the plane was resting at. Big elephant-in-the-cockpit question is: why no slide(s) and why no R1 door? Shouldn't this be an FAA requirement? You must have a route for emergency egress on BOTH sides of the aircraft in case of fire. What sort of cost-saving nonsense is behind deleting the slides? Is the flight crew somehow considered more disposable than passengers? I suppose they just have them sign a litigation waiver and throw them a rope.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    I'm trying to understand why anyone would use the cargo door instead of L1. But first I'm trying to understand why someone would go out the cockpit window in a situation like this. I suspect there is something more to the story.
    Again... what I heard is that L1 doesn't have a slide. And I've heard that it does have inertial reels.
    I don't know what (if any) of the above is true. But they must have had some reason not to wait for the stairs.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I'm trying to understand why anyone would use the cargo door instead of L1. But first I'm trying to understand why someone would go out the cockpit window in a situation like this. I suspect there is something more to the story.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Accessibility is not the issue,
    Ok, I thought you might have cargo blocking the access to it. If the plane is full of cargo in volume I would expect the last piece (pallet, container) to be left just by the door.

Leave a comment:

• ATLcrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

My bad, it is between the L1 door and the wing. But I don't know how accessible or fit it is for escape.
    Accessibility is not the issue, the fact that it sits awful high and has no slide may be more of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

767F cargo door is in the front.
    My bad, it is between the L1 door and the wing. But I don't know how accessible or fit it is for escape.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X