X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post

F/D mode has a runway light avoidance feature? I stand in awe.
    Yes, in fact it avoids the entire runway.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

...and pop goes the edge lights.
    F/D mode has a runway light avoidance feature? I stand in awe.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied

Or click clack paddy whack, give a pilot a plane...
    ...and pop goes the edge lights.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied

First thrust to get the F/D mode, then pitch to follow it, is, I think, how it is best played.
    Or click clack paddy whack, give a pilot a plane...

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied

I never read the book, but I think I’d do the thrust thing and pitch concurrently, sort of like on a bicycle when you lean and turn in a simultaneous and coordinated matter...
    First thrust to get the F/D mode, then pitch to follow it, is, I think, how it is best played. It differs somewhat from a bicycle. Or a Cessna.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    ....first use thrust. Then pitch...
    I never read the book, but I think I’d do the thrust thing and pitch concurrently, sort of like on a bicycle when you lean and turn in a simultaneous and coordinated matter...and for the aeroplanie- a peak at the ASI might be in order, too...

/ass hat outsider parlour talk.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Remember, every prior landing for these pilots, including a number of challenging ones, was probably “perfect”.

I totally agree though, that if you are going to have an incident, it’s probably best to go around. If you aren’t going to have an incident, then a go around is not needed.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    But seriously folks, I believe the proper technique when you've lost the edge lights in heavy rain and have no centerline reference and find yourself misaligned 900ft down the runway is to first use thrust. Then pitch. Then flaps. Then gear...

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Obviously, the situation required rapid rudder deflections in both directions leading to PIO and APCs and then stopping the aircraft somewhere and walking away from it.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Although the captain realised the aircraft was on the right-hand side of the runway at about 15ft, he opted to apply left rudder input, rather than left roll, to recover. The rudder input shifted the aircraft’s drift angle to the left but made no significant change to the lateral deviation.
    Oh, it didn't!? What a surprise, uh?

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    started a topic Can't wait to read Evans first post.

Can't wait to read Evans first post.

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/...140121.article
Working...
X