C-130 and F-35 collide while re-fueling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-130 and F-35 collide while re-fueling

When I was in the navy I was a radioman on P2V Neptunes so didn't see any air-air refueling. Many years later I was in the 747 simulator at United in Denver and they had a program where you could train/practice refueling.

Boy that's not easy. I finished my training and my instructor asked if I wanted to try anything else, so I asked about the refueling. None of us had ever done it before so it was just a try. Well my mistake, I believe, was to try to fly right up to the hook up hose. That didn't work so I quit after a couple tries. Later talking to one of my crew members who flew fighters, I think he said you need to pull up under the hose as in flying in formation and then slowly fly up to hook up. Boy a lot harder than it looks.

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
    C-130 and F-35 collide while re-fueling
    When? Where? Casualties? Survivors? Link? Anything?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

When I was in the navy I was a radioman on P2V Neptunes so didn't see any air-air refueling. Many years later I was in the 747 simulator at United in Denver and they had a program where you could train/practice refueling.

Boy that's not easy. I finished my training and my instructor asked if I wanted to try anything else, so I asked about the refueling. None of us had ever done it before so it was just a try. Well my mistake, I believe, was to try to fly right up to the hook up hose. That didn't work so I quit after a couple tries. Later talking to one of my crew members who flew fighters, I think he said you need to pull up under the hose as in flying in formation and then slowly fly up to hook up. Boy a lot harder than it looks.
      I wasn't aware of a 747 with aerial refueling capability...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

They are called VC-25 and tend to have the callsign Ar Force One.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Answering myself...

Marine Corps F-35 fighter jet crashed after clipping wings with a Marine KC-130 refueling tanker during an AR exercise within Kane West Military Area near Salton Sea, CA. The F-35 pilot did eject safely and the KC-130 was able to make an emergency landing in a field near Thermal Airport. Both pilots are being treated.

Marine Corps F-35 fighter jet crashed after clipping wings with a Marine KC-130 refueling tanker during an AR exercise within Kane West Military Area near Sa...

Comment

Good info and some pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	EjIONDkWAAIo19X?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	1099676

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Oh, right... Click image for larger version

Name:	AeeuI.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	1099709

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

All the military ones including Dick Head Trump's

Comment

All of the E-4 aircraft are also AR capable

Comment

That is because you don't fly into the hookup. The boom operator does the hookup.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

That is because you don't fly into the hookup. The boom operator does the hookup.
                      This accident was different though because it was the KC-130 that doesn't have the rigid mechanical boom but those hoses with the canisters trailing the plane's wing in the airstream.

Name:	32523553223.jpg?quality=85&width=1440&quality=70.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	1099727

Name:	an_f-35b_lightning_ii_attack_jet_flies_alongside_a_kc-130j_tanker_aircraft.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	1099728

Comment

All of the E-4 aircraft are also AR capable
                        Now that you mention it... I think the one in Evan's picture is an E-4, not the VC-25A, correct?

Comment

This accident was different though because it was the KC-130 that doesn't have the rigid mechanical boom but those hoses with the canisters trailing the plane's wing in the airstream.

Name:	32523553223.jpg?quality=85&width=1440&quality=70.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	1099727

Name:	an_f-35b_lightning_ii_attack_jet_flies_alongside_a_kc-130j_tanker_aircraft.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	1099728
                          Called drogue refueling, also done for military helicopters. However, 747 are not equipped for that type of AR.

Comment

Now that you mention it... I think the one in Evan's picture is an E-4, not the VC-25A, correct?
                            Yes

Comment

Called drogue refueling, also done for military helicopters. However, 747 are not equipped for that type of AR.
                              I was trying to picture a 747 with a refueling boom that would work with the drogue refueling. I was gender biased with the plumbing. "She's" an AR capable airplane.

Noticed the exhaust streaming from those JT-3D's across the E4's enpennage. How does that affect handling?

Comment

Working...
                              X