Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    Thank you. This is the link: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/246156
    When we need you, Gabriel, only for the weblink so that all of us know what we're talkin about, that's a very humble task for you, or what do you think?

I knew it without the link. A LH-B777 Freighter. We don't have so many 777 freighters here. Cathay Pacific, what do you think what they use, B744ERF and B748 freighters!

He reported the windshear warning to ATC and added: "[...] we now have five-zero knots tailwind [...]". The bank slowly reduced from 11 to 7. After another 10 seconds or so, the commander asked the copilot to increase the bank angle.
    The copilot replied that she did not want to go below the indicated speed. The indicated speed at this time was 178 kt. The commander noted that the tailwind had increased to 80 kt.
    Aha. Now I know what we're talkin about. It was not the Foxtrot Charlie (above, on a really really nice jetphoto) but the Foxtrot Golf.

GS 191 knots when the heavy 777 lifted off. Again I must say I know almost nothing about a 777.

But I know from a 747 simulator, that what you do in the half second after you lift off, is important. I also know that the 747 gives you a thrust reducing alt, which imho almost never is reached in the second after you lift off.

Somehow, they have lost speed. Another thing which I know from the 747, preflight I set the a/t to 210 (or even more). Which does not only depend on the conditions,
    but also on the precise take off weight which you have in your aircraft when you lift off.

What I really miss in that weblink, the METAR TAF EDDF for that day, October 10th 2020. I could ask my weather provider, and quite fast I have the weather data for that day on my table...
    "Today, we stop shouting." yes. Finally! I love it.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

I said quite fast, but my weather provider is better than only quite fast. Very fast. They lifted off at 0921 local. And my weather provider gave me the METAR EDDF for October 10th 2020,
      0824z, which, for insiders, is almost exactly the same. Here it is:
      EDDF 100824Z 22004KT 9999 FEW021 10/08 Q1021

In English. 220 @ 4, on the ground, on the rwy 25C . A really slow Westwind, at least on the ground. Which we have here quite often. No precipitation, i.e. I assume that the 25C was dry. Altimeter set to 30,15 inHg . So, not really the worst weather you could imagine.

Visibility on the ground, 13 (nautical miles). Again, much much better than what a 777 or 747 needs as a minimum.

All in all, October 10th 2020 was a good day to fly. What I could do now is, set my 747-400 simulator back to 10/10/2020, EDDF 25C, and try what happens at alt 6000.

But I believe my two LH Cargo friends. Something made them return back to the 777 and 747 home airport, Rhein/Main. Their destination is Shanghai? Yes. You better be sure that your aircraft is 110% healthy, before you go on the long way, be it Dulles International, or Shanghai. Well decided.
      "Today, we stop shouting." yes. Finally! I love it.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

I brought up the incident for two reasons. One unusual things happen even in today's hight tech aircraft. And, as my instructor said in the sim, "don't stop thinking". A transport jet and even a corporate jet has 3 airspeed indicators plus some form of ground speed so you don't have to revert to pitch and power. As a primary flight instructor I remember before I would solo someone, I'd cover the airspeed indicator and have them make a landing just looking out the window.

Comment

Working...
        X