No announcement yet.

Interesting little deicing story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And then you have the Antarctic operations where you have jet airliners landing and taxiing in a runway literally made of ice.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Indeed.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        And then you have the Antarctic operations where you have jet airliners landing and taxiing in a runway literally made of ice.
        Now that's funny!

Comment

Ok I'm on a roll now. One winter I'm jumpseating home to Seattle for my days off. Bad snow storm in Seattle shut down the airport. Spent the night in Portland. Next morning got a jumpseat on Southwest Airlines. Wx clear as a bell, north winds and temp about 20F. Landed north a Seattle. As we slowed down to turn off the runway the Capt says "look at this" as he takes the tiller and turns is back and forth and nothing happens, pretty icy. For the next taxiway he put the right engine in idle reverse and we slowly slid over to the right where there was a little snow at that taxiway and was able to turn off the runway. Taxiing back to the gate we held as the gate was occupied. We watched a Hawaiian DC-10 try to get out of the gate. First the tug couldn't move him, then he tried to use reverse on the #2 engine, no luck. Finally the de-ice truck showed up and de-iced the ramp around the tires and finally was able to move. Ahh don't you just like to fly in the winter.

Comment

I wonder how airports/airlines operate in places like Alaska, parts of Canada, parts of Russia, Finland, etc, where these conditions are the norm rather than the exception.
            If they didn't have this figured out, the disruption must b constant and enormous.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

I wonder how airports/airlines operate in places like Alaska, parts of Canada, parts of Russia, Finland, etc, where these conditions are the norm rather than the exception.
              If they didn't have this figured out, the disruption must b constant and enormous.
              They are prepared and have the proper equipment for it. My last 4 years at Atlas I was based in Anchorage. Believe me when I tell you, they know what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                Believe me when I tell you, they know what they are doing.
                I do.

Comment

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9979277

Comment

Video from aussie friends. Runway gradually drifts north east around ~12m each year.

When Australian planes fly to Antarctica, they touch down on a three kilometre-long runway made of ice.

Comment

Working...
                    X