What is it doing now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoeingBobby

Actually, FL 290 and below and FL 410 and above is not RVSM airspace. But whatever.
    Bobby, I hate to break it to you, but you just replied to a spam message from a bot who just took one of my earlier posts, copied it, and added a link to their page.
    I was the one who said 18,000 ft and below is not RVSM because Kent said that he disconnected the AP descending through 18000 ft, and later I explained that it goes from 290 to 410.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Bobby, I hate to break it to you, but you just replied to a spam message from a bot who just took one of my earlier posts, copied it, and added a link to their page.
      I was the one who said 18,000 ft and below is not RVSM because Kent said that he disconnected the AP descending through 18000 ft, and later I explained that it goes from 290 to 410.
      That's okay, gave me something to do for a few minutes.

Comment

I have reported the post for admin action.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          I have reported the post for admin action.
          So did I, via the "flag" button. I always flag these post when I come across them.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

So did I, via the "flag" button. I always flag these post when I come across them.
            I flag all of yours and Evan's, it's never done any good!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
              I flag all of yours and Evan's
              No, you don't.

Comment

I flag all of yours and Evan's, it's never done any good!
                Even after retirement, it's important that you learn a few things.

Comment

Bobby- as a Boeing lover- do you have thoughts on this incident and the design... I am troubled that a trained crew SEEMED to hit appropriate buttons, but the plane did something else.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    I am troubled that a trained crew SEEMED to hit appropriate buttons...
                    The appropriate button:

Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1112684

Comment

Bobby- as a Boeing lover- do you have thoughts on this incident and the design... I am troubled that a trained crew SEEMED to hit appropriate buttons, but the plane did something else.
                      I have never flown any Airbus aircraft. So I have no idea in the world. From the article that Gabe posted, looks like the PM f****d up.

Comment

I have never flown any Airbus aircraft. So I have no idea in the world. From the article that Gabe posted, looks like the PM f****d up.
                        Yeah, while they may have hit some seemingly-appropriate buttons, I'm not sure anyone was actually managing the plane.
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Yeah, while they may have hit some seemingly-appropriate buttons...
                          What buttons do you keep referring to? The PF reacted to the sudden rise of the low speed cue by initiating an approach-to-stall recovery. He pressed the instinctive disconnect switch to take over manual flight and reduced the AoA--so far, so good--and then advanced the thrust levers to TOGA to initiate a go-around--still doing the right thing. But then he made a critical pilot error: while climbing, he returned the thrust levers to CL with the autopilot vertical mode clearly displayed as approach. Now, this is the area of blended automation that accounts for many pilot errors on ANY modern aircraft: He is in manual control of attitude but has returned the thrust to automation. From this point on, pilot and automation work at cross purposes. The pilot's manual flight control inputs tell the plane to climb. The pilot's automation inputs tell the plane to descend. He makes this mistake not once but twice. Following his second mistake, he is so disoriented that he puts the plane into a 43 deg roll, which requires the pilot to force the plane to exceed its normal bank angle limit by holding the sidestick at the full deflection, He then advances the thrust to MCT, resulting in a 5000fpm dive. That is now four distinct pilot errors. In fact, neither pilot ever act to correct the autopilot mode. The mode disengages approach mode by itself when the ILS signals are no longer present. The plane actually saves them twice here!

This is not 'what's it doing now'. This is 'what have I done'. This is compound pilot error and a clear indication of insufficient training and lack of airmanship discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

The appropriate button:

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1112684
                            No.

This is the button...the big red one...I went the extra step to find a side stick...just for you.

Name:	main-qimg-f62d1266bba416f5e2aaee48bd514b62.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1112816

Regarding "button", your black and white thinking can't perceive that the CLB-detent on the Select-o-Magic is essentially a button...Yeah, I know, a 737 will throttle back too, but the POWER lever doesn't sit there on the climb setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

PF AoA TOGA CL MCT
                              WTF is MTC.

The av-hearaldie article says "the automation didn't help the pilots".

Per your story, they dude hand flew a go-around, and then reduced power "He pushed the right buttons"

But the HAL IDLES the engines with the Select-o-Magic sitting on climb...

I get it, they screwed up early and often...and that's the biggest problem...pulling the power levers back after you have gone around is seemingly pushing the right button...as to what actually happened, not my first choice on how it should work, but like you, I'm just and ass-hat parlour talker.

Comment

No.

This is the button...the big red one...I went the extra step to find a side stick...just for you.
                                No.

The FCU button turns the autothrust off. If it isn't used, the autothrust remains armed and will re-engage when the thrust levers are returned into the autothrust operating range, which, in this case, was the climb setting. If you want to retain full manual authority over the aircraft (where the manual climb power setting gives you full climb power) you must first turn off the autothrust with this button. If, on the other hand, you intend to keep the autothrust active, you must be acutely aware of what the current FMA modes are, because the autothrust is going to follow those and not your thrust lever position. Because, yes, moving an armed autothrust lever back into the CL detent is essentially like pushing a button.

Comment

Working...
                                X