Leave a comment:

• kent olsen
    replied
    aviation-safety.net
    It's at the top of the page.

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    replied
    When I read about all of this, I am glad that A: I'm retired and B: I never flew the Airbus

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

And this was a go around and Kent was also talking of go around. Nobody in their right mind adds toga thrust and pitches up a few feet and a couple of seconds before a hard touchdown with the intention of landing.
    Kent is describing two continued landings.

I cannot completely understand what is going on there but I very much doubt that a captain will tear the throttle levers from his FO's hands who had just retarded them, fire wall them, and not also start manipulating the stick. If you take over, you take over. You don't just take over the thrust levers. Because of that, I am pretty confident that the captain was making stick inputs during that 1.5 seconds between the throttle take over and the slam and at minimum contributed to increase the pitch (even if the input was averaged with the FOs).

Now, lack of dual input and priority left that came only after the slam.... First of all, again, it was like 1.5 seconds between the the throttle take over and the slam. I don't know how quickly the dual input alarm will sound after the first stick input. And the same for the priority left one, that we do hear at the end of the clip (well, we just hear "priority" before the end of the clip, but I guess there is little doubt that the "left" would have come immediately afterwards.

About the 40 seconds.... there was a strange logic with this priority button which I don't remember very well, but it was a battle of buttons where the last one to depress it had priority until someone had depressed it for X (perhaps 40?) seconds than the priority would "stick" with his side. But when you depress the priority button all the control goes to your side and the inputs of the other stick are ignored, so there is no dual input. So perhaps the captain immediately, together with the throttle levers, started to make stick inputs with the priority button depressed but the priority call took almost 2 seconds for some reason (like the GPWS count or the retard call having priority)
    The DUAL INPUT has the lowest priority level of the synthetic voice warnings. I think EGPWS or RETARD would have inhibited it here. Hence the importance of calling out the takeover verbally (and the go around). PRIORITY LEFT is delayed by about one second from what I've seen, but perhaps it was also further delayed due to EGPWS and priority level.

I can't see detail in the video well enough, but if there was any dual input, you would immediately see the CPT priority light flashing.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
    aviation.safety.net
    Looked it up by airline (any airline in Iceland) and by country (United Kingdom) and could not find it.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

In a go-around, certainly.

I think the pitch increase must have come from the F/O, beginning to flare with the intention to land. If the CPT had added pitch before taking priority, we would hear a dual input warning (unless that is inhibited by the EGPWS callouts).
    And this was a go around and Kent was also talking of go around. Nobody in their right mind adds toga thrust and pitches up a few feet and a couple of seconds before a hard touchdown with the intention of landing.

I cannot completely understand what is going on there but I very much doubt that a captain will tear the throttle levers from his FO's hands who had just retarded them, fire wall them, and not also start manipulating the stick. If you take over, you take over. You don't just take over the thrust levers. Because of that, I am pretty confident that the captain was making stick inputs during that 1.5 seconds between the throttle take over and the slam and at minimum contributed to increase the pitch (even if the input was averaged with the FOs).

Now, lack of dual input and priority left that came only after the slam.... First of all, again, it was like 1.5 seconds between the the throttle take over and the slam. I don't know how quickly the dual input alarm will sound after the first stick input. And the same for the priority left one, that we do hear at the end of the clip (well, we just hear "priority" before the end of the clip, but I guess there is little doubt that the "left" would have come immediately afterwards.

About the 40 seconds.... there was a strange logic with this priority button which I don't remember very well, but it was a battle of buttons where the last one to depress it had priority until someone had depressed it for X (perhaps 40?) seconds than the priority would "stick" with his side. But when you depress the priority button all the control goes to your side and the inputs of the other stick are ignored, so there is no dual input. So perhaps the captain immediately, together with the throttle levers, started to make stick inputs with the priority button depressed but the priority call took almost 2 seconds for some reason (like the GPWS count or the retard call having priority)

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied

Yet, you can see the plane quickly pitching up just before the slam. It's hard to tell from the camera because it is moving so much, but look at the AIs.
    It looks like the touchdown would have been much harder hadn't the captain intervened wit pitch-up inputs. Firewalling the throttles probably had nothing to do with the vertical speed at touchdown but for sure adding thrust early helps in a safer and more positive go-around.
    In a go-around, certainly.

I think the pitch increase must have come from the F/O, beginning to flare with the intention to land. If the CPT had added pitch before taking priority, we would hear a dual input warning (unless that is inhibited by the EGPWS callouts).

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied

Well, here is one instance of a disadvantage to sidestick control. The thrust is going to take some seconds to have any effect and Immediate pitch input is needed. But even if the CPT commands full aft stick, the system will only add his input algebraically, so full elevator response is not possible. The priority takeover also takes time to latch. The FCOM recommends holding the button down for 40 seconds! But the CPT in this case probably didn't add pitch input immediately because we don't hear a "dual input" aural warning. Therefore, nothing he does at that point can prevent a hard touchdown.

Yet, you can see the plane quickly pitching up just before the slam. It's hard to tell from the camera because it is moving so much, but look at the AIs.
    It looks like the touchdown would have been much harder hadn't the captain intervened wit pitch-up inputs. Firewalling the throttles probably had nothing to do with the vertical speed at touchdown but for sure adding thrust early helps in a safer and more positive go-around.

Leave a comment:

• kent olsen
    replied
    aviation.safety.net

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied

Yes, you can see the "and fell" the pitch decreasing and the sink rate increasing, an between 30 and 20 ft the FO (who is the PF) retards the throttles (as per SOP) but the captain immediately slams them full forward and pitches up, initiating the go-around but the plane still touches down quite hard before starting to climb again.
    Well, here is one instance of a disadvantage to sidestick control. The thrust is going to take some seconds to have any effect and Immediate pitch input is needed. But even if the CPT commands full aft stick, the system will only add his input algebraically, so full elevator response is not possible. The priority takeover also takes time to latch. The FCOM recommends holding the button down for 40 seconds! But the CPT in this case probably didn't add pitch input immediately because we don't hear a "dual input" aural warning. Therefore, nothing he does at that point can prevent a hard touchdown.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied

The A320? I think that's a go around. You hear the priority take over just at the end of it. I expect the F/O came out of that with tail between legs.
    Yes, you can see the "and fell" the pitch decreasing and the sink rate increasing, an between 30 and 20 ft the FO (who is the PF) retards the throttles (as per SOP) but the captain immediately slams them full forward and pitches up, initiating the go-around but the plane still touches down quite hard before starting to climb again. Unfortunately the video lacks enough quality to see the variation in vertical speed, but you can listen how the "fifty, forty. thirty, twenty" happens at increased pace.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Somehow relevant. 0:25

https://youtu.be/P49OxVqOvec?t=25
    The A320? I think that's a go around. You hear the priority take over just at the end of it. I expect the F/O came out of that with tail between legs.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
    Icelandicair missed approach

So they missed the first approach at Manchester, then missed the approach into Liverpool, finally returning to Manchester with low fuel.
    Any link? I could not find it in AvHerald.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Somehow relevant. 0:25

https://youtu.be/P49OxVqOvec?t=25

Leave a comment:

• kent olsen
    replied
    Good question. It happens in the blink of a eye so hard to tell. Just a reaction.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X