X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 feet from disaster at CDG

Controller needs a nap:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...ntl/index.html

or maybe they should get rid of the ridiculous naming convention of runways to avoid this type of stupidity...

Comment

Kudos to the Easyjet crew of the A320 for intervening and asking the United 787 to go around.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        or maybe they should get rid of the ridiculous naming convention of runways to avoid this type of stupidity...
        These incidents will still happen if the runways are called Susan and Martin. Do you have (more than one) children? Or one child and a dog?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
          Kudos to the Easyjet crew of the A320 for intervening and asking the United 787 to go around.
          At 1300 meters from threshold, it might have been more of a freak out demand.

C'est la vie I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

At 1300 meters from threshold, it might have been more of a freak out demand.

C'est la vie I guess.
            I've got a beer that says it was an extremely calm decision by the 787 crew who was PROBABLY aware of the whole thing, and followed procedures very well.

Obviously that information is lacking in the report from a highly-reliable news source, so I could be wrong.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

gabe, except that Susan and Martin dont sound anything remotely alike. whereas 9 left and 9 right are still 9's.

i have 3 kids. i dont confuse their names. more importantly though, when i call one of them, the other two never answer

Comment

gabe, except that Susan and Martin dont sound anything remotely alike. whereas 9 left and 9 right are still 9's.

i have 3 kids. i dont confuse their names. more importantly though, when i call one of them, the other two never answer
                If you called your kids "left" and "right" I think the results would be the same. These are not similar words. Nothing was misheard. The controller wasn't in the game. She instructed both aircraft to use 9 right.

Comment

Before a new runway naming system is launched, I have another beer that says that Evan wins and that it's all going to be automated with text, visual AND audio commands being given to pilots (correction, commands directly to the pilotless airplane)...A computer sees 9R and 9L as extremely discrete, hard-to-confuse terms and it's not like automation doesn't exist to support this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	966d4533-800px-harris_switch_tower_interlocking.jpg Views:	0 Size:	322.5 KB ID:	1119719
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

2 active runways both named 9. nah, nothing bad could EVER come of that.....

Comment

2 active runways both named 9. nah, nothing bad could EVER come of that.....
                      There are plenty of airports with 3 parallel runways.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

There are plenty of airports with 3 parallel runways.
                        And more too, but after they run out of L, R and C they start changing the numbers (even if the runways have exactly the same heading).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

And more too, but after they run out of L, R and C they start changing the numbers (even if the runways have exactly the same heading).
                          Correct, and as the pilot flying the aircraft, it's your responsibility to make sure you land or takeoff on the assigned one.

Comment

Correct, and as the pilot flying the aircraft, it's your responsibility to make sure you land or takeoff on the assigned one.
                            And the controllers responsibility to assign the correct one…which they did not in this case.

Comment

And as a pilot taxiing, hopefully it is your responsibility to monitor the tower frequency and recognize controller errors, as appears to have been the case here.

Comment

Working...
                              X