Operations close to thunderstorms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operations close to thunderstorms...

Looked pretty nasty to me, but hey, let's give it a shot.

Intense Thunderstorm Landing Attempt – American Eagle – Embraer ERJ-175 – JLN – N241NN – SCS Ep. 1 - YouTube
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

looked pretty tame to me. yeah there was some chop at the end of the approach but i've landed in worse.

Comment

Really?? Which way was the wx moving in relationship to the airport. Good decision to go around. Sounds like the wx was approaching the airport. An ERJ-175 is only about a 100,000 lb a/c. Something larger may have driven thru most of the bumps. But again what's the wind doing on the ground? There is a crosswind limit for most of us and our a/c, better to not push the limit.

Comment

kent, if the "really?" was directed at me, i'm not even close to being a pilot. i am a very frequent passenger though and have definitely landed in worse conditions (whilst sitting comfortably behind the cockpit)

Comment

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
          An ERJ-175 is only about a 100,000 lb a/c.

Comment

No offense meant TeeVee. As I have said my 45 years of pushing throttles comes with an equal amount of respect for mother nature and realizing what my own limitations are, (maybe less than someone else). Much easier to have a look at the situation from the safety of the ground, even if it's not the airport of intended landing.

Comment

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
              No offense meant TeeVee. As I have said my 45 years of pushing throttles comes with an equal amount of respect for mother nature and realizing what my own limitations are, (maybe less than someone else). Much easier to have a look at the situation from the safety of the ground, even if it's not the airport of intended landing.
              no offense taken at all. just clarifying for you

Comment

I enjoy contrasts and irony. If you look at flight routings, with storm systems there’s frequently hundreds of miles of diversions and 50 mile separations and holds with aircraft way up high. Other aircraft “shoot through” tiny gaps and land with the storms right on the airport.

In this case, it’s a regional airport that doesn’t have 20 planes per hour for pilot reports, and possibly less wind shear detection, nearby radar, etc.

Bobby also likes to “avoid red returns”

So, I’ll say this is pushing the “intimate” side of things and contrasts with the conservative 200 mile detours that are also seen.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Beautiful G/A, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                    Beautiful G/A, btw.
                    Curious as to why it was beautiful…because ‘he’ was working almost-moderate turbulence?

Comment

The four minutes of bewilderment between the go-around and the pax announcement needs some work.

Oh raaaght, we got some paaaassengers back there.... might wanna know what the hecks going on...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        The four minutes of bewilderment between the go-around and the pax announcement needs some work.

Oh raaaght, we got some paaaassengers back there.... might wanna know what the hecks going on...
                        As a survivor of three go arounds, that’s pretty typical.

I suspect there are very many procedures, and rapid ATC requests, and automation programming, and semi critical turns and level offs and charts and logistics for safe flight that, unfortunately, can’t handle the distraction of a PA announcement…

You can’t have it both ways.

Comment

I think that keeping them alive is more important than keeping them happy.
                          Complete the goa-round procedure, talk with ATC, get the plane cleaned up, confirm decision to go to alternate, more talk to ATC, re-check weather to the alternate, confirm fuel status, talk with OPS...
                          Actually, a PA being not something essential for the operation for the plane, it should not be done before 10,000 ft AGL when you are in a sterile cabin environment, unless there is something important related to safety that you need to tell the passengers (like brace for impact).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I don't think so. Seems about right.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

I don't think so. Seems about right.
                              Should we train flight attendants to recognize go-arounds (hard to miss them) and make a calming vanilla announcement… folks we are going around, probably due to [the bumpy weather, or due to traffic (choose one)] the cockpit crew is extremely busy working with ATC and will update us shortly. This is a very normal procedure that we see rather frequently as flight attendants, we apologize for the delay.

Comment

Working...
                              X