No announcement yet.

Deeps thoughts about electric airliners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, unfortunately there seems to be not a lot of stats yet that discriminants EVs vs ICE. But that applies to your statements too.

But in general, we can see that A LOT of fires in cars in general are not the result of crashes.

• Approximately one in eight fires responded to by fire departments across the nation is a highway vehicle fire. This does not include the tens of thousands of
    • fire department responses to highway vehicle accident sites.
    • Unintentional action (38 percent) was the leading cause of highway vehicle fires.
    • Eighty-three percent of highway vehicle fires occurred in passenger vehicles.
    • Sixty-two percent of highway vehicle fires and 36 percent of fatal highway vehicle fires originated in the engine, running gear or wheel area of the vehicle.
    • Mechanical failure was the leading factor contributing to the ignition of highway vehicle fires (45 percent).
    • Insulation around electrical wiring (29 percent) and flammable liquids in the engine area (18 percent) were the most common items first ignited in highway vehicle fires.
    • Sixty percent of fatal vehicle fires were the result of a collision.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...tics/v19i2.pdf

At the end of the day, you don't want to die in a car regardless of the reason. And you don't want to die in a car fire regardless of the reason. And if you are not in the car when the fire starts, then better. So having less fires per million miles driven is a plus in itself, and if what you say about the causes of fires is true, then when fires do happen it is less likely that you are in the car if it is an EV than if it is an ICE car.

I know this is info prepared by Tesla, but it is what we have....

Check page 40:
    https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2020...act-report.pdf

https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

This may be not the best info but it is what I have to back up my claims If you have better info to back up your claims, please share it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabieee
      This may be not the best info but it is what I have to back up my claims If you have better info to back up your claims, please share it.
      Lay off the facts, dude. This is emotional…in two ways:

1. Hoverboard and Galaxy 7s AND BOEING 787s don’t build much trust.

2. When a gas car or battery car lights up, hit the brakes and the shoulder, and get out. When an airplane does it…it seems a lot less fun. Emotionally disturbing to think about.

And again from the emotional side, you engineers have done a pretty decent job in making aeroplanies not_catch fire when the engine does.

https://youtu.be/Dont3uTVqvA
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

Lay off the facts, dude. This is emotional…in two ways:

1. Hoverboard and Galaxy 7s AND BOEING 787s don’t build much trust.

2. When a gas car or battery car lights up, hit the brakes and the shoulder, and get out. When an airplane does it…it seems a lot less fun. Emotionally disturbing to think about.

And again from the emotional side, you engineers have done a pretty decent job in making aeroplanies not_catch fire when the engine does.

https://youtu.be/Dont3uTVqvA
        I think I established very early in the thread my view that electric airplanes are not a thing, not now, not in the conceivable future, maybe never, and if it ever is it will more likely be with fuel cells that use high-energy-density fuels rather than batteries (unless there is an unexpected and non-forecasted revolution in batteries technologies).

If you want to add the possibility of battery fires to why we won't have electric airplanes, I am willing to agree. Airplanes (especially transport category ones) cannot catch fires at the rate that cars do. ICE or EV, both are too much. A battery storing the energy needed to run the engines in a trans Pacific flight catching fire in flight is a guaranteed dead sentence for all aboard, the same than the fuel tanks catching fire. That's why fuel tank fires almost never happen (things like TWA being the exception, and resulting in all dying too).

My "exchange of opinions" with TeeVee on this subject has always been regarding car fires, not electric airplanes. Electric airplanes are not a thing, they can't hurt you.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Electric airplanes are not a thing, they can't hurt you.
          i likey!

Comment

I am 72 years old. Happily, within the lifetime I have left I will never see an electric powered airliner, never mind actually fly on one.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

You won't fly on one, but if you go anywhere near Toulouse, France, don't look up cuz there's already one flying around up there.

Comment

And don't go near P&W or De Havilland.

https://evtol.news/news/pwcs-hybrid-...ceives-funding

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  You won't fly on one, but if you go anywhere near Toulouse, France, don't look up cuz there's already one flying around up there.
                  Pictures are required. How big is this aircraft. I know of a few around the world that are ultralights but if you can show me an electric powered airliner flying with 100+ passengers then you may be able to impress me.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post

Pictures are required. How big is this aircraft. I know of a few around the world that are ultralights but if you can show me an electric powered airliner flying with 100+ passengers then you may be able to impress me.
                    AIrbus is intending to get a hybrid-electric regional jet in the BAe-146 category in service by 2030. That aircraft carries about 90 pax, I think.

Comment

AIrbus is intending to get a hybrid-electric regional jet in the BAe-146 category in service by 2030. That aircraft carries about 90 pax, I think.
                      By 2030, Jeff Bezos will have his transporter up and running!

Comment

Airbus is intending to get a hybrid-electric regional jet in the BAe-146 category in service by 2030. That aircraft carries about 90 pax, I think.
                        That doesn't count. It doesn't have batteries.

And I am pessimistic about it being economically feasible against for example biofuels or synthetic fuels.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

That doesn't count. It doesn't have batteries.
                          I don't know about that. It should be EHA instead of hydraulics. Probably a backup in case the turboshaft fails. I'm betting it will rely on batteries similar at least to the 787.

Comment

Something like this will eventually happen, but. It will never be like the sound and sensation of the old radial engines. My first experience was the PW-3350 on the Navy P2V. Wow that's what horsepower sounds like. Then I flew the R-2800 in the Corsair and the R-2600 in the TBM. Along with the smaller 900, 1300 and 1800 radials. Jets are just a lot of hot air but those big radials were awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X