Cosmic Particles, Bit Flips and Qantas Flt. 72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmic Particles, Bit Flips and Qantas Flt. 72

This video explains the phenomenon of binary bit flips caused by cosmic particle radiation. I recommend watching it from the beginning.

This is the part that explains the upset events of 2008:

https://youtu.be/AaZ_RSt0KP8?t=877

The video skims over the finer details. The A330 ADIRU actually had error detection to protect against cosmic interference but the nature of the sampling interval left a small window of vulnerability. That was designed out after the investigation and it hasn't recurred since.

Comment

"Here you have the speed... eeerrrr... make it angle of attack".

That would have been a great moment for the red, guarded, GMMFPB button.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

And you wonder why there is the old saying, "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going."

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
          And you wonder why there is the old saying, "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going."
          You forgot the word "down".

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

You forgot the word "down".
            47 years and 27000+ hours and I never did!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
              LOL.

Since Evan started this topic with this very special video, I wondered, what are you lookin for here in this topic,
              if Evan is Airbus
              and
              Gabriel is Boeing.

'The Universe is hostile to computers' . Again I do not agree with Evan, not 100%.

It is so so so very very sad that I am the only jetphotos forum member who since 2008 dares to wear his favorite airline in his nickname.

Hopefully I am not the only one who knows that Lufthansa consists of more than a quite decent LH-B747-800 fleet, passage version.

LH A330-300 . But I confess that there are more than 1 or 2 aviation forums where Lufthansa pilots are able to write in their mother language, i.e. in German. ...

To make it short, I don't think that the Universe is hostile to computers.

In a LH B747-800 passage version, and also in a LH-B744, you will find more than only one computer on board.

But whom am I telling this...

I have heard of pilots who change from an A320 to the B747. Why would you do that, if your favorite airline also owns an A330, where the change would be so very much easier.

Part of that is legend. The 747 is part of the Lufthansa fleet since April 1970, that was a moment when Gabriel was not born, if I'm allowed to say that....

LH 747 since more than 51 years, since more than half a century.

That's alot of time so that you can try to reach perfection in the air with your favorite aircraft. Even with one or two computers on board, with upper and lower EICAS,

and even for such an ole bugger like me...
              The German long haul is alive, since more than 60 years.
              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
              This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

The self proclaimed 747 expert that has redesignated the -8! Always a plethora of information!

Comment

Working...
                X