Second Turnback This Week Due to Unruly Pax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

nothing could be further from the truth. air rage was on the rise LONG before sars-cov2 came on the scene. it's been discussed countless times on this forum. the only thing that changed is that mask refusal was added to the ever-growing list of potential offenses.
    A quick look at the FAA's data on "unruly passenger" incidents appears to show the numbers trending down steadily between 2004 and 2016. They then doubled between 2016 and 2020. Last year (2021) they jumped from 183 to 1099, an increase of 6x.

Source: Unruly Passengers (faa.gov)

Comment

• i stand corrected, but my position is bolstered even more.

assuming those stats are accurate, it still represents a big NOTHING in my book. let's take 2021 as a whole: 670 million passengers flew in the US in 2021. total reported incidents: 10,271. this represents 1/10th of 1% of pax deemed "unruly."

the definition of unruly is also a moving target. "Federal Aviation Regulations 91.11, 121.580 and 135.120 state that "no person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated." they also include failing to follow crew instructions

so, being an annoying SOB to your neighbor doesn't really violate the above rules. nonetheless, if i continue to harass my seatmate, after being told to stop, i will be deemed "unruly."

i am by no means advocating being an a-hole, but realistically, where else in the free world is being an a-hole a violation of law that can get you fined $37k. where else is an "emergency" declared because someone is acting the fool?

Comment

i am by no means advocating being an a-hole, but realistically, where else in the free world is being an a-hole a violation of law that can get you fined $37k. where else is an "emergency" declared because someone is acting the fool?
        "Everywhere else in the free world" might not be an aluminum tube going through the sky at 500mph though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

"Everywhere else in the free world" might not be an aluminum tube going through the sky at 500mph though.
          19 pages and ATL has resolved it. That airliner you are boarding is not the free world. Do what you're told. Or take the free world bus.

Comment

might not be. but let's be realistic here and not so black and white. where else on the planet are people subject to ridiculous rules under threat of arrest, fines, lifetime bans, for simply "no listening to someone?" and to be clear, i'm not talking about things like "sit down" or "put your seatbelt on." even stupid shit like "stop annoying your seatmate" can get you locked up and in debt.

yeah, someone will chime in and say, well, if a simple seat squabble isnt ended quickly it could escalate. yeah? and then what? mayhem breaks out? does that affect the safety of the flight? are people on buses, jailed for not listening to the driver? on subway riders jailed for failing to follow conductor instructions?

no. we've allowed ourselves to be subjected to unreasonable laws that our often enforced unreasonably and unfairly. who is a judge or the faa gonna believe, a 60 year old flight attendant or a 22 year old wanker? is the 22 y/o wanker going to be able to call witnesses to support his side of the story? likely not. and i feel fairly confident that fa's stick together like cops--even if none of them actually witness something they will all swear on the holy bible that the accusing fa's story is accurate.

power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

p.s. when has a commercial aircraft crashed or otherwise had a TRUE emergency because some wanker(s) decided to not follow instructions?

Comment

Your info is out of date. BA2 has been canceled because Ukraine.

Carry on.
              I find this statement even more profound, now.

Also, I seem to have read something about some politicians voting about something.

Apparently “the science” is 57 to 40.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

So the virus particles hit your mask at 500 MPH? No wonder masks have a failure rate. Does turning into a tailwind make that better or worse? What happens if the plane is on a conveyor belt?

/snarcasm.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• evan better not fly to the UK. LHR just ditched their indoor mask requirement. this will absolutely lead to a whole shyteload of fights and unruly pax. too bad it's not in the US, the faa is dying for the extra revenue and our judicial system definitely is wasting its time on the prosecution of petty bs such as homicides, rapes, carjackings etc etc when anti-maskers could be prosecuted instead.

Comment

might not be. but let's be realistic here and not so black and white. where else on the planet are people subject to ridiculous rules under threat of arrest, fines, lifetime bans, for simply "no listening to someone?" and to be clear, i'm not talking about things like "sit down" or "put your seatbelt on." even stupid shit like "stop annoying your seatmate" can get you locked up and in debt.

yeah, someone will chime in and say, well, if a simple seat squabble isnt ended quickly it could escalate. yeah? and then what? mayhem breaks out? does that affect the safety of the flight? are people on buses, jailed for not listening to the driver? on subway riders jailed for failing to follow conductor instructions?

no. we've allowed ourselves to be subjected to unreasonable laws that our often enforced unreasonably and unfairly. who is a judge or the faa gonna believe, a 60 year old flight attendant or a 22 year old wanker? is the 22 y/o wanker going to be able to call witnesses to support his side of the story? likely not. and i feel fairly confident that fa's stick together like cops--even if none of them actually witness something they will all swear on the holy bible that the accusing fa's story is accurate.

power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

p.s. when has a commercial aircraft crashed or otherwise had a TRUE emergency because some wanker(s) decided to not follow instructions?
                    At least you agree that the 22yo in this case is, in fact, a wanker.

I'll take it.

Comment

• A few posts up, I commented that a scientific vote had deemed that masks were no longer needed on airliners.

Do we not have anything to say about this?

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        A few posts up, I commented that a scientific vote had deemed that masks were no longer needed on airliners.

Do we not have anything to say about this?
                        Populism

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post

Populism
                          Could be. Or could just be some semblance of sanity.

Comment

Could be. Or could just be some semblance of sanity.
                            I am referring to the recent decisions by various officials in relaxing measures as 'Covid Stimulus Policies'.

In places like Germany and the Netherlands, they are working. They've been working in Denmark for some time. They will also work in the US.

Keeping Covid as part of our lives (when it never had to be) seems to be a goal for many people out there. I guess you could call that conservativism.

I'll be wearing a mask on an upcoming flight to Ireland in an effort to continue progress against this pandemic. Call me a progressive.

Comment

• To hell with masks, I understand that alcohol sales are returning

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                                To hell with masks, I understand that alcohol sales are returning
                                indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X