• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

comedy

maybe it might have made more sense
    Not sure of your objective, unless it’s multiple.

I see the humor here.

Now, as to how it was handled, I imagine procedures were followed.

Israelis are security nuts, so I’m sure there’s little tolerance to cowboy improvisation.

Someone brought a bomb to a place where bombs are kind of frowned upon…I’m sure you can process this in black and white terms…

The security guys probably have limited freedom to evaluate how “hot” the item is and, in a matter of seconds, screen the Griswolds for their pure intentions.

I’d also bet that there’s no intention of stampedes nor panic…just that us humans are a stinking mess. We have Clintons and Trumps and Bidens running a major country, so keeping people from panicking is tough.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Maybe.
    No, I mean, what happened after they declared it? Did comedy ensue?

I guess 'comedy' isn't the right word for a full-on panic stampede. My armchair position is that maybe it might have made more sense to discreetly clear the immediate area and then call in some ordnance removal rather than freak out the entire airport. AFIAK, old mortar shells are not time bombs in the literal sense and certainly do not destroy entire airports.

Seems like a bit of a John Candy-esque overreaction on somebody's part.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

Exactly. And then what happened?
    Rusty Griswold: Dad, look at this cool thing I found! What is it?
    Clark Griswold: Well, Rusty, I believe that's an ancient Phoenician burial urn. Good find!
    Ellen Griswold: Oh, Clark, that would go great in the dining room. Can we keep it?
    Clark Griswold: I don't see why not. We just have to declare it at the airport. Toss it here, Rusty!
    Maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    so obviously no ill intent
    Exactly. And then what happened?

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    what surprised me was not the stupidity of the family trying to bring unexploded ordnance on an aircraft, but the fact that they aren't locked up in an israeli prison for a good long time.
    Under Israel law, it is not a crime to be an idiot. They even DECLARED the item to airport security at luggage drop, so obviously no ill intent, just an ill brain.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    You all seem to be missing the John Candy part.

Leave a comment:

• flashcrash
    replied
    I think it's OK though - they wrapped it up in a sturdy plastic bag.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    The problem would have been easily fixed by going back into the desert and utilising a controlled explosion……on the dumb yanks ! Just throw the shell back where it came from.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND
    Sorry, fixed.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...sts/index.html

Leave a comment:

• TeeVee
    replied
    outlandish to say the least. what surprised me was not the stupidity of the family trying to bring unexploded ordnance on an aircraft, but the fact that they aren't locked up in an israeli prison for a good long time.

evn, you should be far more pissed about them being let go, then delta inviting the anti-maskers back on board.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND

Leave a comment:

• National Lampoon's Israeli Vacation: Airport Security Scene

Rusty Griswold: Dad, look at this cool thing I found! What is it?
    Clark Griswold: Well, Rusty, I believe that's an ancient Phoenecian burial urn. Good find!
    Ellen Griswold: Oh, Clark, that would go great in the dining room. Can we keep it?
    Clark Griswold: I don't see why not. We just have to declare it at the airport. Toss it here, Rusty!

[SCENE: At the airport security desk]

Security agent (John Candy): Howdy folks! Whatcha got there?

An American family caused havoc at Israel’s Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv on Thursday when they tried to transport an unexploded shell through airport security.
Working...
X