Light plane crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light plane crashes

My Yahoo news had 4 light plane crashes over the weekend. Whaaat!!!

I could not find the Memorial Day 2022 stats, but for Labor Day, 2021 in Flyover, there were 351 vehicle crashes with 18 deaths. Holidays have heavy travel. Among the various high-power statistical tools is the denominator and the population size. As was once published in Aviation Typists, light aviation is roughly 6X more dangerous than driving. (Forgive me for not knowing the denominator, but there’s tons of caveats but the bottom line is bad for the light plane.)

Among the various caveats, there are no doubt, some very preventable accidents (cars and planes both) (excluding the ultimate prevention of staying in bed).

Edit- 2022 Memorial Day data, Flyover

Eleven people died in traffic crashes over the 2022 Memorial Day weekend counting period of 6 p.m., Friday, May 27, through 11:59 p.m., Monday, May 30, 2022.

Traffic Statistics

Crashes — 304
    Injuries — 115
    Fatalities — 9
    DWI — 121
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

What would be the 2 fatalities that didn't dieded?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        What would be the 2 fatalities that didn't dieded?
        Idiots that blindly copy paste.

The highway patrol reported 9 and two municipalities reported one each.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
          My Yahoo news had 4 light plane crashes over the weekend. Whaaat!!!
          According to NTSB, there were 123 light aircraft (GA) accidents in April 2022. Four crashes over a long weekend in May is not surprising.

​​​​​​https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-main-pub...th=4&year=2022

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post

According to NTSB, there were 123 light aircraft (GA) accidents in April 2022. Four crashes over a long weekend in May is not surprising.

​​​​​​https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-main-pub...th=4&year=2022
            But "only" 92 of them were in the United States, of which "only" 11 were fatal (just 3 per week, below average)

(Although some accidents still have the "Highest injury" field still blank)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

You are all looking at the wrong stats. Top Gun Memorial Day Weekend Box Office: $156M.

Tower, request fly-by. Negative, the pattern is full. Screw the pattern, I got this— [sound of metal bending]

It's culture writ large. 4 Mavericks over the Memorial Day weekend.

Comment

But "only" 92 of them were in the United States, of which "only" 11 were fatal (just 3 per week, below average)

(Although some accidents still have the "Highest injury" field still blank)
                I love the quotation marks!

Comment

My Yahoo site has had at least one light plane crash everyday for the last week. Are light planes dangerous?? I guess only when the engine quits!!

Comment

My Yahoo site has had at least one light plane crash everyday for the last week. Are light planes dangerous?? I guess only when the engine quits!!
                    Most fatal plane crashes are not related with the engine quitting.
                    And yes, General Aviation (excluding corporate jets) is quite dangerous, statistically speaking. On par with riding motorcycle.
                    But there is huge variation. It depends a lot on how serious and responsible the operator is. Like with motorcycles too.
                    If you check large flight schools like Embry Riddle and ATP, they have a very low accident rate and an almost non-existent fatal accident rate, despite the intrinsic risks of primary flight training (including student pilots with less than 20 hours flying solo).

Comment

This is an aviation safety forum, and the focus is commercial aviation, which differs from general aviation in that it is monumentally safer because...

...of all the things that have been done to make it so. Checklists, procedures, redundancies, CRM, nav safeguards, massive technology, training in high fidelity sims, checkrides, detailed, rigorous maintenance, no stone unturned accident investigations, human factors research, psychological screenings, duty roster limitations, etc, etc, etc, because...

...otherwise, it would be as unsafe as general aviation. It's good that we have general aviation and it's menagerie of accidents to remind us of this need. But, when Billy Bob pulls his Cessna out of a cornfield and cowboys it into a hillside because he considers himself an immortal airman, let's not scratch out heads over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        [snipped for brevity]

…when Billy Bob pulls his Cessna out of a cornfield and cowboys it into a hillside because he considers himself an immortal airman, let's not scratch out heads over it.
                        The great one hath spoken.

Light plane pilots are idiots, do not care about safety, do not use checklists, and do not deal with resource management.

[Blue Font]Example: Boeing Bob and his J-3 Cub go out on nice days with MINIMAL technology…shock emoji [/blue]

Nothing insidious ever happens, it’s all stupidity.

No different than riding a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

The great one hath spoken.

Light plane pilots are idiots, do not care about safety, do not use checklists, and do not deal with resource management.
                          Certainly, this is true of some light plane pilots. Do all light planes crash or only some of them?

[Blue Font]Example: Boeing Bob and his J-3 Cub goes out on nice days with MINIMAL technology…shock emoji [/blue]
                          And what happens?

Nothing insidious ever happens
                          Why do you suppose that is? Because he's a well-trained, former commercial pilot with a head full of avaition safety wisdom?

As opposed to those brazen GA pilots with a head full of...

No different than riding a bicycle.
                          Maybe, but crashing on a bicycle hurts a lot less.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            Maybe, but crashing on a bicycle hurts a lot less.
                            There are about 800 fatal bicycle accidents per year in the US alone.

Comment

There are about 800 fatal bicycle accidents per year in the US alone.
                              Hurts less on average?

Comment

Working...
                              X