No announcement yet.

Light plane crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Ken, do we ban all light planes? (Definitely an occasion for the italicized we.)
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

No we can't ban light planes but sometimes I wonder. Is it training or maybe maintenance. My first 12,000 hrs was flying light planes and I never had an emergency. A throttle cable that fell off once but nothing after that. I instructed all those years and engine failure and a forced landing was part of it. Then I got into jets and the training was all in the simulator. Again as an instructor I continued training for an emergency and planning for the insuing landing. How about a 4 engine failure, on downwind, and a landing. Energy management.

Comment

G*d help me please.

Comment

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
          No we can't ban light planes but sometimes I wonder. Is it training or maybe maintenance. My first 12,000 hrs was flying light planes and I never had an emergency. A throttle cable that fell off once but nothing after that. I instructed all those years and engine failure and a forced landing was part of it. Then I got into jets and the training was all in the simulator. Again as an instructor I continued training for an emergency and planning for the insuing landing. How about a 4 engine failure, on downwind, and a landing. Energy management.
          There are many more pilots that never crashed than those that did. Congratulations for being one of the former. Not exceptional to belong to a vast majority, but still.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
            G*d help me please.
            I think G*d has left the forum.

Comment

The 4 engine out landing came from a friend at UPS. He was given a 3 engine out scenario and returned on 1 engine. Sooo, I asked for the same thing in my next sim session. Well you can't climb but was able to work my way back. Being the smart a** I am I said to my instructor "well that wasn't so bad I wonder about a "No" engine approach and of course that's what he gave me. Well that was in my DC-8 days. I enjoyed the challenge and so asked for it on all my subsequent pro checks, in the B-747, then when I went on and flew corporate in the Hawker 1000 and lastly in the Citation X. Energy management.

Comment

The 4 engine out landing came from a friend at UPS. He was given a 3 engine out scenario and returned on 1 engine. Sooo, I asked for the same thing in my next sim session. Well you can't climb but was able to work my way back. Being the smart a** I am I said to my instructor "well that wasn't so bad I wonder about a "No" engine approach and of course that's what he gave me. Well that was in my DC-8 days. I enjoyed the challenge and so asked for it on all my subsequent pro checks, in the B-747, then when I went on and flew corporate in the Hawker 1000 and lastly in the Citation X. Energy management.
                Is it true that the DC-8 lacked speed brakes and therefore allowed you to deploy #2/#3 reversers in flight? Energy management question.

Comment

I almost did, but I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    And, MAKE NO MISTAKE, a bicycle FUBAR can kill you, too, or make you disappear from an obscure aviation forum for 19 days
                    Fixed.
                    Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    So Ken, do we ban all planes?
                    Fixed and yes.
                    "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

Comment

The majority of aerial applicators I know have crashed. Thanks to tough airplanes, good harnesses, and maneuvering skills, they often survive.
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Yes in the DC-8 both with the JT-8 and CFM engines you could reverse #2-3 in flight. The CFM was even more of a challenge to plan your descent as it had a higher in flight idle. After the first time you worked harder to plan your descent as the vibration was terrible. I never found out why they didn't use the roll/ground spoilers. All I could surmise was they where not at an optimal position on the wing.

Comment

Before I was at Atlas, flying under an Aspen call sign @ FL 800......

Comment

Yes in the DC-8 both with the JT-8 and CFM engines you could reverse #2-3 in flight. The CFM was even more of a challenge to plan your descent as it had a higher in flight idle. After the first time you worked harder to plan your descent as the vibration was terrible. I never found out why they didn't use the roll/ground spoilers. All I could surmise was they where not at an optimal position on the wing.
                            It brings up an interesting aspect on the DC-8 in terms of losing all engines, because without flight spoilers and with no engines turning, and thus no reversers either, you have no means to simultaneously slow the aircraft and lose altitude short of cross control or s-turns. So if you are preserving as much airspeed as possible (best glide) with inop or limited flaps (both engine hydraulics out) and need to land at Vref + 70 or something but you're too high to make the runway, it would seem to be disadvantageous to not have those speed brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

It brings up an interesting aspect on the DC-8 in terms of losing all engines, because without flight spoilers and with no engines turning, and thus no reversers either, you have no means to simultaneously slow the aircraft and lose altitude short of cross control or s-turns. So if you are preserving as much airspeed as possible (best glide) with inop or limited flaps (both engine hydraulics out) and need to land at Vref + 70 or something but you're too high to make the runway, it would seem to be disadvantageous to not have those speed brakes.
                              LANDING GEAR!

Comment

A friend of mine who was the Chief Test Pilot at Douglas told me an interesting story. Back when they were just building the DC-8 they where curious what would happen if the DC-8 exceeded the speed of sound. So he took it up to 45,000 ft, pushed it over and did about M1.14, as I remember. Everything held together. That was not for public consumption. He told me (just between the two of us) and faxed a conformation. That was back in the 90's. Good old airplane I really enjoyed flying.

Comment

Working...
                                X