Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passengers "terrorized", aircraft "nose ripped off". LATAM A320 landing at ASU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passengers "terrorized", aircraft "nose ripped off". LATAM A320 landing at ASU.

Apparently the aircraft had initially diverted to IGU following a go-around at ASU and landed safely. However, pilots elected to continue the flight to ASU, despite a strong spring storm front moving in from the south.

Calmer and more factual coverage here: Incident: LATAM A320 at Asuncion on Oct 27th 2022, storm damage (avherald.com)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 8.24.48 AM.png
Views:	316
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1147615Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 8.24.34 AM.png
Views:	281
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1147616Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 8.24.22 AM.png
Views:	252
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1147617

RAT popped out. Apparently, both engines flamed out from hail ingestion and only one came back. Zero windscreen visibility from hail damage... This was no joke.

Comment

Wait for it... Willing to bet there is a good one coming.

Comment

So they elected to fly through a really bad storm? They have weather radar, right? Is there any form of hail warning or is it limited to precip?

Comment

Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
          So they elected to fly through a really bad storm? They have weather radar, right? Is there any form of hail warning or is it limited to precip?
          I don't think that they freely elected to fly through a such bad storm.
          Hail is precip, together with rain and snow. But ice doesn't give as strong radar echoes as liquid water. So a heavy hail can be confused with light or moderate rain.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I remember many years ago while flying the DC-9 going into Indianapolis. We had a TRW right in our path as we descended. I asked for a deviation and was told to "standby" three times. My FO said what do I do. I told him to deviate and he said he was going left. I notified ATC we were turning left. They just said "OK".

Comment

See, I told you!

Comment

I will get no love on this forum for saying this, but again (as these things and worse keep happening), ATC should be given the authority and the responsibility to divert traffic and call off approaches when the weather along the flight path appears unsafe to continue. And the pilots would always to have the ability to call off the approach themselves, but not the ability to continue if ATC doesn't approve. Bring on the flames.

Comment

What is a TRW?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    What is a TRW?
                    METAR. TRW = Thunderstorm

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

Forgive me, but isn't the METAR TS, or TSRA?

Comment

Another old story. After landing in Oklahoma City someone was in our gate. Got the next one. After deplaning the FO and I walked out in the terminal to get a sandwich. As we walked by the aircraft in our normal gate we noticed he had a duck stuck in the radome. Wish I'd had a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
                            Another old story. After landing in Oklahoma City someone was in our gate. Got the next one. After deplaning the FO and I walked out in the terminal to get a sandwich. As we walked by the aircraft in our normal gate we noticed he had a duck stuck in the radome. Wish I'd had a camera.
                            Probably didn't happen in the gate though.

Comment

SMH

Comment

Working...
                              X