Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boing would cancel the 737-MAX-10 and -7 if a certification requirement is not waived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boing would cancel the 737-MAX-10 and -7 if a certification requirement is not waived

... and I agree with Boeing.

I have a lot to rant about this, but don't have time right now.

The super short story is that there is a requirement that planes certified after December 2022 are required to have EICAS / ECAM (a computerized and centralized crew alerting system).
    The Boing 737-MAX-8 and -9 (as well as every previous generation including the NG) were already certified without EICAS.
    The it is almost 100% sure that MAX-10 will not make the deadline. And the -7 has good chances of missing the deadline too.

Boeing says that they are not going to install EICAS in the -10 and -7, whether they meet the deadline or not. If these variants are not certified by the end of the year and there is no waiver to lift this requirement for these variants, they will just cancel the programs.

Opinions and positions are all over the place.

I have a very strong and clear opinion:
    I support making EICAS a requirement. Boeing should have implemented EICAS in the 737 25 years ago with the NG generation.
    They were allowed not to, they had business reasons not to, and they didn't.
    Now it is too late. Not only Boeing should not be required to implement EICAS in the MAX-10 and -7, but doing so is not feasible.
    Giving Boeing the waiver is the only rational decision, because requiring EICAS for the -7 and -10 is bad for almost everybody (including the flying public), except perhaps for Airbus and airlines that didn't order the -10 and -7 but compete with ones that did.
    Failing that waiver, cancelling the -10 and -7 is Boeing's only available option. Which, again, would serve nobody except Airbus and competing airlines.

I am particularly angry with the American Airlines pilots union who issued a statement (a dishonest one I think) lobbying for the congress not to give the waiver.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Boeing says that they are not going to install EICAS in the -10 and -7, whether they meet the deadline or not. If these variants are not certified by the end of the year and there is no waiver to lift this requirement for these variants, they will just cancel the programs.
    Wonderful. End the madness. Force them to build an American-made 21st century single-aisle airliner. Make America great again, or at least as good as the Chinese, the Canadians and the Russians.

Whatever happened to 'safety first'?
    It's encouraging to see Congress still thinks that way.
    Boeing painted themselves into this corner two decades ago.

EICAS could have prevented the last three major crashes.

Today's pilots have a much greater need to know 'what's it doing now'.

Comment

and this is how greedy american companies put the pressure on. i hope they are forced to cancel.

when does the bs end in this country?

Comment

Am I the only one that agrees with Boeing in this particular point?
        (Spoiler alert: No. So does Delta, Southwest, Southwest's pilots union, and the person who was the NTSB's chairman at the moment that the law that requires the EICAS was enacted)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
        X