The last new one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

Don't tell Evan, but wouldn't you provide some rudder input?
    Yes, whew, that was close.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

Don't tell Evan, but wouldn't you provide some rudder input?
      Exactly how many rudder reversals are called for?

Comment

Evan.
        The engine was carried internally, it was a CFM-56, smaller than a 74 engine. Although I do remember a fuel stop in Pago Pago where Quantas had two 74's on the ramp. One had the engine removed and the other had the replacement engine on the wing, 5th pod it think is what they called it.

Comment

Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
          Evan.
          The engine was carried internally, it was a CFM-56, smaller than a 74 engine. Although I do remember a fuel stop in Pago Pago where Quantas had two 74's on the ramp. One had the engine removed and the other had the replacement engine on the wing, 5th pod it think is what they called it.
          I guess it was fairly common on 60 and 70's airframes. Other a/c with extra pod hardpoints include the 707, the VC-10, the Tristar and, if I'm not mistaken, the DC-8.

Virgin Orbit is using them to launch satellites.

I wonder if they discontinued that on the 747-8.

Comment

Looking at a still cockpit image posted today from the Virgin Orbit launch, the right seat pilot is pressing the rocket release button at the moment of separation. The left seat pilot (PF) has his right hand on the rudder trim. I wonder how much yaw that 5th pod-mounted rocket creates.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
              Looking at a still cockpit image posted today from the Virgin Orbit launch, the right seat pilot is pressing the rocket release button at the moment of separation. The left seat pilot (PF) has his right hand on the rudder trim. I wonder how much yaw that 5th pod-mounted rocket creates.
              Willing to bet a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

Willing to bet a bunch!
                The rocket it carries on the left wing is almost as big as the Atlas rocket that launched John Glenn.

Comment

Working...
                X