Weather Meltdown: 12/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Meltdown: 12/22

Apparently, one airline (not_Lufthansa) is having it extra bad.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

One that is heading 225?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I don’t like the livery.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Something to do with their Greyhound-of-the-skies logistics model, staffing 'redundancies', robber-baron management, Windows 2000 and a good ol regional monopoly. Also, there was a giant winter storm. In winter. Who saw that coming?

Break them up DOT. (that will also solve the livery problem).

Comment

So, I’m reading that this may be computer related…

And we put those things between Airbus side-sticks and control surfaces

Comment

How bad is it? The New York Times used the word debacle. (That's the Yankee spelling)

Comment

I’ve heard two great stories:

1. A crew and airplane fought for two? hours to place a phone call to “dispatch” to approve them to make the flight they were supposed to make. Miraculously, said flight was completed, not_on time.

2. Flight crews log into whatever system tells them where to go and almost exclusively get the JavaScript spinning wheel of software did diededness.

Comment

I've heard one plausible story:

1. Icing conditions in Denver took out the 68-pin SCSI cable for the central Atari 8" floppy drive.
                2. This caused the Hayes Smartmodem to lose handshake with the teletype, placing an impossible burden on the late shift keypunch operators.
                3. Subsequently, dispatch information from the central UNIVAC 1101 computer did not appear on the 737 flight deck cathode Nixie tubes readouts.
                4. A backup plan also failed because crews lacked DynaTAC 8000X handsets.

Classic U.S. post-deregulation IT issues.

Comment

more like, classic swa--people love us cuz we're quirky, even though we have for decades cut corners, failed to modernize in search of higher share prices, oh, and we've perfected cattle drives!

anecdote. i was kinda forced to fly swa back in may i think--SAC-PHX. hadn't flown them in well over a decade. i think it's fair to say that the experience was worse than even my two flights on spirit back in 2005/6. next time i'll rent a car

Comment

Happened also to big not-officially-low-cost airlines in the past, so...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I ride SWA a lot, they grew as AA/TWA pulled out of Flyover. Some days I like them, some days they are just another airline selling tickets on the internet for the lowest prices. (Cue additional details, but the bottom line doesn’t change much).

Sure, the point-to-point routing made for domino constipation, and maybe is an interesting engineering process study, but a computer hang seems the bigger issue here. Evanie’s jokes appreciated.

I was looking for an old magnetic “routing board” where airplanes were “dispatched” by humans and some procedures and probably some improvisation.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        I've heard one plausible story:

1. Icing conditions in Denver took out the 68-pin SCSI cable for the central Atari 8" floppy drive.
                        2. This caused the Hayes Smartmodem to lose handshake with the teletype, placing an impossible burden on the late shift keypunch operators.
                        3. Subsequently, dispatch information from the central UNIVAC 1101 computer did not appear on the 737 flight deck cathode Nixie tubes readouts.
                        4. A backup plan also failed because crews lacked DynaTAC 8000X handsets.

Classic U.S. post-deregulation IT issues.
                        No.

They adopted a new system that resides in the lavatories of their 737 Max aircraft. A system called “Managing Cancellations Amid Snow”

You’re welcome.

Comment

Well, the good news is that Southwest has rebooted their Compaq Deskpro 386 and should be back to normal schedule by tomorrow. So nothing happened here. Forget… move on and forget…

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                            I ride SWA a lot, they grew as AA/TWA pulled out of Flyover. Some days I like them, some days they are just another airline selling tickets on the internet for the lowest prices. (Cue additional details, but the bottom line doesn’t change much).

Sure, the point-to-point routing made for domino constipation, and maybe is an interesting engineering process study, but a computer hang seems the bigger issue here. Evanie’s jokes appreciated.

I was looking for an old magnetic “routing board” where airplanes were “dispatched” by humans and some procedures and probably some improvisation.
                            yeah we all see the world thu our own colored glasses. while i'm generally a fan of aa, mostly because of my status with them, they dealt me some blows over the years as well as family and friends, so i do not claim that they are anything but what they are. many many years ago, a very good friend of mine that traveled for work for 3.5 decades, told me to stick to one airline as much as possible. mainly to learn their quirks and crap so as not to be too bent outta shape when they bend me over, cuz it's only a matter of time until they do. very wise words indeed.

Comment

Working...
                            X