Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATR-72 crash at PKR, Nepal. Many fatalities feared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post

I'm referring to the temple hill as a navigational fix in VFR, not a significant obstacle. But the mountains to the north of the RWY 30 ILS are significant.

But let's not get hung of on the details of an instrument approach. If RWY 30 is not available in IMC, I would expect a completely different arrival route to a nice long 5 mile + straight-in, possibly precision-guided final. The airport seems obviously oriented for that option as RWY 12 aligns with the valley between the mountains.

What I see here as being the safest strictly visual approach is to break off the RWY 30 ILS at around 1000 AGL and then follow the main road that skirts the mountains to the north, aiming for the temple hill, That keeps you clear of terrain. Then turning to the extended downwind (300) heading at the temple hill, timing the 30 secs +/- and executing the wide circling approach descending to the RWY 12 heading and joining that above 500ft.

What they were attempting to do here defies explanation unless it was an emergency attempt to land, but nothing in the preliminary report suggests that...
    I agree, and that was my point all the time (well, a good part of the time anyway). It is not the visual approach per se, but they way they flew it.

My best guess is that the intention was to overfly the old familiar airport and then execute a hard turn to the runway at around 300' AGL and 1nm out. That's some third-world cowboymanship.
    There is a reason why Yeti is blacklisted from flying in Europe, and I believe it is not IOSA certified either.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel
      There is a reason why Yeti is blacklisted from flying in Europe, and I believe it is not IOSA certified either.
      Originally posted by Aviation Herald
      A SAS Scandinavian Airlines Airbus A320-200N, registration EI-SIC performing flight SK-681 from Copenhagen (Denmark) to Rome Fiumicino (Italy), was on final approach to Rome's runway 16L descending through about 200 feet AGL just with the gear extended, flaps and slats still retracted and at about 230 knots over ground, when the crew initiated a go around reaching the lowest altitude of about 150 feet.
      Are the airlines just hiring out of work Twitter employees now? SAS isn't blacklisted in Europe. What's their excuse? It seems that we're having a small pandemic of pilots getting way behind the airplane and/or stuck in a tunnel on unstable approaches.

Comment

Are the airlines just hiring out of work Twitter employees now? SAS isn't blacklisted in Europe. What's their excuse? It seems that we're having a small pandemic of pilots getting way behind the airplane and/or stuck in a tunnel on unstable approaches.
        Vertical speed indicator: 1250 fpm
        Airspeed indicator: 220 kts
        Flaps position indicator: 0
        Flaps lever position: 0
        Landing checklist: Not performed.
        GPWS: "Five hundred. Too low - flaps. Terrain terrain. Sink rate. Woop Woop pull up"
        PM: "500 ft, stable"
        PF: "Check, continue"

Balme it on the visual instrument pattern circling extremely tight and extremely low approach with both pilots focusing out of the window and performing extreme banks with extreme Gs and extreme stall-speed-increase factors.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• let us not forget the approach to rwy 13 at kai tak...

at night, in the rain, fully manual flight. cowboys.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWOgvjx9TfA

"This is where aircraft would make a 47-degree right turn to line up with the runway, with less than two nautical miles to fly and started at a height of only around 650 feet. The final approach after the right turn then flew just tens of meters over the apartment building surrounding the airport. So close that passengers often commented they could see into the flats." (https://simpleflying.com/hong-kong-k...letter_popup=1)

wow! talk about unsafe, irresponsible and just plain batshit crazy... i wonder if BB ever flew that approach. if so, enlighten us

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
            let us not forget the approach to rwy 13 at kai tak...

at night, in the rain, fully manual flight. cowboys.... [...]
            wow! talk about unsafe, irresponsible and just plain batshit crazy... i wonder if BB ever flew that approach. if so, enlighten us
            Hm. Gabriel and me are definitely old enough to know what you're talkin about. But I just wonder how old that ATR-72 Flight Captain was.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokhar...tional_Airport

One thing is definitely for sure, we no longer live in the 1970s or 1980s, where TV stations probably tried to protect your children from strong pictures.

So, nowadays, if you're a responsible family man, it is your task. Thus, the Yeti Airlines article contains a quite strong picture, careful if you are together with children younger than 12 .

Back to the Kai Tak rwy 13. You are old enough to know the Best Airport On This Planet (BAOTP)?

Closed 1998 afaik, and I believe you without lookin it up, if they had a 13, then it was something like VHHH 13/31 with .. 3100 m (10,171 ft) ,
            and only the 13 was good for a LH-B744 t/o,
            because on the 31 (all that still without lookin it up) you would end in the checkerboard hill during a 747 t/o?

I am totally sure that with you as my Flight Captain and I as the F/O, that Yeti Airlines Flight not necessarily had to end without survivors.

Not when at least one pilot on board knows the VHHX checkerboard hill. I love it.

PS: The F/O on that Yeti ATR 72 flight was 44 years old. The age of the Captain hasn't yet published in the German wikipedia. If you ask me,
            44 is a good age to survive!
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-03-02, 03:31. Reason: 44 years, ATR 72 F/O, female, and dead now.
            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

at night, in the rain, fully manual flight. cowboys.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWOgvjx9TfA
              This video recording act should be punishable with 20 years behind bars. It totally ruined what would have been a beautiful piece of art had they just kept the camera fixed with neutral zoom (no tele, no wide).

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee

at night, in the rain, fully manual flight. cowboys....
                (and some epic crosswinds)

That is the past my friend, before the industry woke up to the wisdom of stabilization criteria.

Comment

(and some epic crosswinds)

That is the past my friend, before the industry woke up to the wisdom of stabilization criteria.
                  really???? you mean to tell us that the stabilized approach at ~ 3 miles is a post 1998 invention/discovery? oh how i would love to see some proof of that BS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

This video recording act should be punishable with 20 years behind bars. It totally ruined what would have been a beautiful piece of art had they just kept the camera fixed with neutral zoom (no tele, no wide).
                    it is kind of old, but i agree that the camera operator should be drawn and quartered

Comment

it is kind of old, but i agree that the camera operator should be drawn and quartered
                      Statue of limitations? Too late to prosecute him?

Comment

Statue of limitations? Too late to prosecute him?
                        well assuming he was a member of the flight crew, he was very likely close to middle age back then which would make him ~70's now? do we really wanna prosecute the guy/gal for this horrendous video 25 years later?

as for the SOL, while i admit this was a terrible act, i dont think it qualifies as a capital crime, so very likely the SOL ran out.

Comment

• Very nice animation of the events, a lot of information was extracted from the little data that is available.

This aircraft crashed because the propellors went into feather mode or neutral. This is according to the preliminary accident investigation report costing t...

Comment

Very nice animation of the events, a lot of information was extracted from the little data that is available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppo73zeAvDo
                            That track he shows might have been the intended one (turn to base just seconds after passing abeam the threshold!!) but it can’t be the one flown. The cabin video shows the plane begins the bank to ‘base leg’ while the temple hill is still beneath the window.

Comment

• I'm one of those old guys who probably flew into Kai Tak 50 times before they moved to the Island where I also flew into many times. Usually by the second trip into Kai Take you figure out the tricks. Descent rate established on the ILS then just turn over the center line strobe lights and maintain your descent rate. When there was a right crosswind it just required a earlier turn to final to give you a chance to find the correction needed.

The best time killer, besides shopping, was to go sit on the checkerboard and watch the arrivals.

Comment

• Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
                                I'm one of those old guys who probably flew into Kai Tak 50 times before they moved to the Island where I also flew into many times. Usually by the second trip into Kai Take you figure out the tricks. Descent rate established on the ILS then just turn over the center line strobe lights and maintain your descent rate. When there was a right crosswind it just required a earlier turn to final to give you a chance to find the correction needed.

The best time killer, besides shopping, was to go sit on the checkerboard and watch the arrivals.
                                During those high-workload and at the same time eyes-out-of-the-window appealing approaches, when the PF called "flaps 30" and you were the PM. Did you just move the handle or checked and confirmed the actual position of the flaps as shown by the flaps position indicator? And when you did the landing checklist, did you just recite the checklist by memory or actually visually and manually confirmed the status of each system before responding the challenge?

Comment

Working...
                                X