Clear All

• What, no Chinese balloon talk?

I'm flabbergasted!

We should wait for the final report.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      We should wait for the final report.

Comment

A flight of 2 F-22 and a $400,000 Sidewinder wasted. Wouldn't an F-16 with guns work? (plus, if you fire to the balloon itself, the payload would be in better shape than if you blast it with a missile).

What I am not sure is what heat signal would have the Sidewinder sought? Sun reflection?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          A flight of 2 F-22 and a $400,000 Sidewinder wasted.
          This is the US military we're talking about. There's no 'wasting'. There's only not spending fast enough.

I agree though. They missed a great opportunity for gunnery practice.

My theory: someone with a fully-formed brain pulled the guns out of those things to jettison deadweight.

Comment

I’m pissed that I didn’t go looking for it. I understand that Flyover America is an earned nickname. I think some friends took Jetphotos, but probably got rejected by the screeners.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              I’m pissed that I didn’t go looking for it. I understand that Flyover America is an earned nickname. I think some friends took Jetphotos, but probably got rejected by the screeners.
              There is Flyover America and there is Floatover America. I understand some yokels tried to take it down with their Desert Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                A flight of 2 F-22 and a $400,000 Sidewinder wasted. Wouldn't an F-16 with guns work? (plus, if you fire to the balloon itself, the payload would be in better shape than if you blast it with a missile).

What I am not sure is what heat signal would have the Sidewinder sought? Sun reflection?
                it just may have something to do with the altitude of the balloon (60k-65k) and the f-16's lower max operating altitude. while the f22 has a higher max alt, apparently not high enough to get lined up for a canon run from above.

more importantly, as the canadians and several other countries learned back in 1998, high altitude baloons are pretty much unimpressed with gun/canon shots.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  it just may have something to do with the altitude of the balloon (60k-65k) and the f-16's lower max operating altitude. while the f22 has a higher max alt, apparently not high enough to get lined up for a canon run from above.
                  Right, the F-16 would not make it. But a lightweight F22 (no payload except cannon rounds, not much fuel) should be able to do it. Not from above, but why would it need to be from above?

more importantly, as the canadians and several other countries learned back in 1998, high altitude baloons are pretty much unimpressed with gun/canon shots.
                  Not sure what you mean, The balloon may not pop, but for sure it will would deflate if you make several pairs of holes in it. How not if not?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

for whatever reason, the gun run is best being from above, i'm not a fighter pilot so dont know.

the canadians and others peppered the hell out of their balloon and it stayed aloft for days--even gained altitude. uncle sam wanted this balloon to drop in shallow coastal waters to make recovery and theoretically proving that the chinese lied about it being a weather balloon...

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      for whatever reason, the gun run is best being from above, i'm not a fighter pilot so..
                      I think an attack from above assures that the balloon cannot outmaneuver you and get a clean shot on your six.

Comment

LOL, but noa a Chinese ballon. I like the way FR24 mess with the funny stuffs, like the Santa during Christmas

Comment

Working...
                        X