Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple solution to prevent Bird strike to jet Engine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Simple solution to prevent Bird strike to jet Engine

    Bird Strikes annually cost airlines around the world over $ 1 Billion. While most of them report to be harmless, we can't rule out the danger it poses to an aircraft.
    Bird strikes, till date, ranks among the most potent threat for aviation around the world.
    the most favorable condition for bird strike are during take-offs and landings.
    After being struck in the engine, the bird can cause a disruption in the rotatory motion of the fan blades, result in partially or complete failure of engine.
    Here is a solution to prevent bird strike to jet engine.

    SOLUTION:As per sketch A LEVER BASED AIR BALLOON SYSTEM can be a good solution to prevent bird ingestion.
    The balloon diameter will be same as engine. At the time of landing or flying off the lever will be out from plane n air thrust will inflate the balloon, in opposite direction of engine.
    Some strips popping out from balloon will work to cover the jet engine and these strips will work like a barrier.
    The space between each strip will be sufficient to prevent birds to strike with engine.

    ADVANTAGE OF THIS SOLUTION :
    (1)No impact on jet engine efficiency as there will be enough space to suck the air.
    (2)It is lever based retractable solution.
    (3)Light weight, Low cost, Easy to implement solution.
    If there are any issues in it. Please let me know to improve this solution.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Originally posted by vgvikram11 View Post
    Bird Strikes annually cost airlines around the world over $ 1 Billion. While most of them report to be harmless, we can't rule out the danger it poses to an aircraft.
    Bird strikes, till date, ranks among the most potent threat for aviation around the world.
    the most favorable condition for bird strike are during take-offs and landings.
    After being struck in the engine, the bird can cause a disruption in the rotatory motion of the fan blades, result in partially or complete failure of engine.
    Here is a solution to prevent bird strike to jet engine.

    SOLUTION:As per sketch A LEVER BASED AIR BALLOON SYSTEM can be a good solution to prevent bird ingestion.
    The balloon diameter will be same as engine. At the time of landing or flying off the lever will be out from plane n air thrust will inflate the balloon, in opposite direction of engine.
    Some strips popping out from balloon will work to cover the jet engine and these strips will work like a barrier.
    The space between each strip will be sufficient to prevent birds to strike with engine.

    ADVANTAGE OF THIS SOLUTION :
    (1)No impact on jet engine efficiency as there will be enough space to suck the air.
    (2)It is lever based retractable solution.
    (3)Light weight, Low cost, Easy to implement solution.
    If there are any issues in it. Please let me know to improve this solution.
    What f the birds puncture the balloon…
    Also, aerodynamic efficiency will go down with that, as the ballon will generate drag. It could cause trouble with that.
    It would not be a viable economiclly either. Just like parachutes, putting the thing back in will make turnaround times on the gates longer, so planes will spend less time on the air, losing money. A crew would also need to be ready at an airport to install it back, check its integrity, and do maintenance on it. Also, there is no space to put it in, unless you want 2 big bumps on the side of each aircraft, which would increase drag and decrease fuel efficiency, and would require months of design/testing and certification. It would need to be installed in all aircraft to put up a good fight against birds, and unless it is made legally mandatory, no airline would spend money on something that would reduce the amount of money they win. And for it to last/be certified, it would have to be made with good quality (so boeing wont make it). That would make it expensive. Really expensive. And that all together would make it cost more that the money it saves per year. And there are some logistical questions, like:
    -what would reverse thrust do to the ballons?
    -what happens if they fly off?
    -during a goaround, can they be put back in? Because it would increase drag, and may cause problems. Just look at the Ural Airlines flight.
    -is it really nessesary? Compressor stalls and delays due to passanger/mechanical trouble are a bigger money loss, as the flight may be cancelled/delayed.
    Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
    If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
    ——————————————————————————

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by vgvikram11 View Post

      ADVANTAGE OF THIS SOLUTION :
      (1)No impact on jet engine efficiency as there will be enough space to suck the air.
      (2)It is lever based retractable solution.
      (3)Light weight, Low cost, Easy to implement solution.

      There are some details missing:
      (1) it will certainly impact engine/lift efficency. It will disrupt the airflow of the wings, and the engines will have less air coming into them, as some air was just pushed away from them due to the spherical shape. And ice will be a problem if there is some present, as it will make the ballon even less aerodynamiclly efficent.
      (2) Another lever, another thing to confuce with the flaps/spoilers/throttle. My underpaid ryanair pilot will have to go to training to learn about the system, and it will be additional workload for him, as after 4 EPKK-ESSA flights he will be wanting not worry another lever and he may slip up.
      (3) was already mentioned in my previous post.
      Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
      If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
      ——————————————————————————

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by vgvikram11 View Post
        Bird strikes, till date, ranks among the most potent threat for aviation around the world.
        Bird strikes are not the most potent threat, but one of the most dramatized. Potent makes it sound as a dangerous threat. In bigger passanger aircraft, it is ussually not the most dangerous. That is me after my EPKK-ESSA flight got delayed for 6 hours due to pilot shortage. But seriously, the most dangerous threats are structural failiure and onboard fires. And bird strikes arent that common either.
        Also, not to mention that there are more pressing safety concerns in aviation that bird strikes. Like weather and mechanical mishaps.
        Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
        If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
        ——————————————————————————

        Comment


        • #5
          Sure, but wouldn't it be simpler to install bird-seeking "laser-beams" that don't actually harm the birds, but merely warm their little skulls, making them sleepy and irritable not feeling much like flying anymore? (I've put a great deal of thought into this).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Sure, but wouldn't it be simpler to install bird-seeking "laser-beams" that just fry the birds?
            Simplified version 2.0

            --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Evan View Post
              Sure, but wouldn't it be simpler to install bird-seeking "laser-beams" that don't actually harm the birds, but merely warm their little skulls, making them sleepy and irritable not feeling much like flying anymore? (I've put a great deal of thought into this).
              or just put guns and kill them. if you are doing something do ir right
              Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
              If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
              ——————————————————————————

              Comment


              • #8
                I guess I have to be the one to suggest a grate made from rebar and welded together.

                My solution also addresses rampies, parking cones and cargo containers.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Okay. Or take wisdom from nature and notice how birds deal with birds. A system integrating screeching loudspeakers and plastic owls speed taped to the engine cowling would solve the whole problem. Can't believe no one's thought of this.

                  (and yes, that would now be referred to as the 'engine owling'.)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I can’t take credit for this, but around 1970, someone suggested an amazing solution for airline safety problems. Including a cool acronym.

                    But sadly, only Cirrus seems to have noticed, and adopted only part of this idea.

                    Citation: The Great International Paper Airplane Book

                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0615.jpg Views:	0 Size:	752.9 KB ID:	1187533
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      I guess I have to be the one to suggest a grate made from rebar and welded together.

                      My solution also addresses rampies, parking cones and cargo containers.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	0000208_fod-screen-4445i.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	1187539
                      "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        I can’t take credit for this, but around 1970, someone suggested an amazing solution for airline safety problems. Including a cool acronym.

                        But sadly, only Cirrus seems to have noticed, and adopted only part of this idea.

                        Citation: The Great International Paper Airplane Book
                        Uh... well folks... this is your captain speaking... My colleague stepped out to use the lav and when I went to buzz him back in I... heh... hit the wing detach knob by mistake. My bad. We'll be floating back down to earth shortly. Thanks for flying with us.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          SSDW

                          Originally posted by Evan View Post

                          Uh... well folks... this is your captain speaking... My colleague stepped out to use the lav and when I went to buzz him back in I... heh... hit the wing detach knob by mistake. My bad. We'll be floating back down to earth shortly. Thanks for flying with us.
                          Well, you’d think it would be a guarded switch…
                          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Evan View Post

                            Uh... well folks... this is your captain speaking... My colleague stepped out to use the lav and when I went to buzz him back in I... heh... hit the wing detach knob by mistake. My bad. We'll be floating back down to earth shortly. Thanks for flying with us.
                            Well, at least they will know why they're (softly) crashing, unlinke when they misconfigure the aeroplanie for take-off or landing or pull-up relentlessly...
                            "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                              SSDW



                              Well, you’d think it would be a guarded switch…
                              Unless it's a Boeing. Then it might be more like that seat track pitch trim switch. Guarded in a flimsy sort of way.

                              Captain, here's your coffee, I'll just set it— Oh diggety! Did I detach the wing again?!

                              No, you idiot, you released the bird balloons!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X