Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delta A321neo fire at gate at SEA. More than 3 minutes before any fire suppression.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    [Evan’s links]

Is than one link or 3?

Also, it appears to be some sort of in-ground deal. My observations are that the ground power is usually routed along jet bridges, not_a receptacle in the concrete.

I’ve never noticed a big, red, kill switch, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a well-engineered, logical one somewhere nearby.
    This is a jetway-mounted ground power unit. I can't make out the button labels but there are two red ones there.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    [Evan’s links]

Is than one link or 3?

Also, it appears to be some sort of in-ground deal. My observations are that the ground power is usually routed along jet bridges, not_a receptacle in the concrete.

I’ve never noticed a big, red, kill switch, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a well-engineered, logical one somewhere nearby.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Note the big red panic button:

https://www.aeroexpo.online/prod/dynell/product-187525-66279.html

https://www.airport-technology.com/products/pit-power/

https://www.rolandberger.com/fr/Insights/Publications/Transition-%C3%A9cologique-de-l-aviation-l-ACI-accompagne-les-a%C3%A9roports-via-son.html

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post

[A VIDEO]
    ANOTHER VIDEO:

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Somewhat baseless, ass-hat, outsider speculation:

A beautifully-engineered automatic circuit-breaker system failed (probably along with something in the power plug…(Swiss cheese))
    Could have been a damaged ground power connector or some debris/contamination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ez-5Dw7qI

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

There is.
    On the ground? I would expect a big kill switch or lever at the ground end of that cable. And a ground crew who know how to use it.

Leave a comment:

• ATLcrew
    replied

There should be a quick means to cut off that current within reach in an emergency.
    There is.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Somewhat baseless, ass-hat, outsider speculation:

A beautifully-engineered automatic circuit-breaker system failed (probably along with something in the power plug…(Swiss cheese))

The manual backup disconnect could have been:
    -poorly accessible
    ​​​​​​-dangerously energized
    ​​​​​​-sparking and burning

Given this, and ATL-knows what else, “a fire-specific, drilled procedure for 14 kinds of fires” might be a tall order.

But again, this parlour-talker feels like there should have been a C02 extinguisher blown off, and fire personnel arriving a bit sooner.

Leave a comment:

• TeeVee
    replied

Yes, once the fire had been burning for several minutes an evac was deemed necessary. I'm referring to the fact that it didn't need to go that far. I'm referring to the actions (and inactions) of the ground crew, apparently in lieu of a drilled procedure, in lieu of a means to deal with it, thus making an unnecessary evac necessary.

The fire is clearly being perpetuated by the presence of an electrical current. There should be a quick means to cut off that current within reach in an emergency. If not, I give up.
    resignation accepted.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied

We can always find ... [opportunity for a lot of misdirected ranting]
    Yes, once the fire had been burning for several minutes an evac was deemed necessary. I'm referring to the fact that it didn't need to go that far. I'm referring to the actions (and inactions) of the ground crew, apparently in lieu of a drilled procedure, in lieu of a means to deal with it, thus making an unnecessary evac necessary.

The fire is clearly being perpetuated by the presence of an electrical current. There should be a quick means to cut off that current within reach in an emergency. If not, I give up.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    …an evac that never needed to happen.
    We can always find an example of you admonishing pilot actions and a situation to disagree on.

In hindsight, yeah, unnecessary.

BUT

Just imagine the crucifixion on obscure avaiation fora and lawsuits if the fire spread a little bit faster and someone perished…

Originally posted by The General Public and likely Evan
    We know fire spreads fast, what were the stupid pilots thinking? How many deaths have occurred from aircraft fires. They should have known.

Trying to save a few $ on the slides, no doubt.

Fire them, more regulation, more oversight, more public, physical punishment.
    Many years ago, someone wrote an article about an incredibly mundane decision in Obscure Typists Magazine. Light rain had started, the runway was really long, and the FO was questioning if they really needed to recalculate the performance.

The captain said, “What will it look like in the accident report, if [not_italics]we crash.

Yeah, we might think the evacuation was unnecessary, but, again, an easy call from the easy chair.

And yeah, be sure to find a way to trash the pilots.

https://youtu.be/xt0V0_1MS0Q?si=N09XOL7SA1i-QQRn. (Trigger warning, brief nudity). Footnote: I forgot some additional, awesome lyrics in this.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I get the impression there was no PROCEDURE for this. I guess nobody foresaw the possibility of a ground power main shorting out and causing a fire. Cuz that's a real stretch of the imagination. So we have a little improv theater going on, including an evac that never needed to happen.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    I just got a call from Comedy Central…they asked if I knew how get in contact with Not_Karl.

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    replied
    Originally posted by Not_Karl View Post
    Fixed.
    ROTFLMFAO

Leave a comment:

• Not_Karl
    replied
    In the humour department, it was suggested that headlines are reading: “Aircraft by a manufacturer that sources parts from Boeing's ex-Wichita division infamous for 737Max incidents Catches Fire”
    Fixed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X