First A380 incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First A380 incident

Yesterday, an A380 from Singapore Airlines departed the runway and rolled onto the grass at Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) as it was towed out to the runway for the flight to Sydney. The incident was caused by problems with the tow truck (nothing to do with the plane). But the flight was cancelled and all passengers were transferred to a Boeing 747-400 aircraft. Singapore Airlines is going to assess if the A380 has sustained any damage.

From Appledaily HongKong:

全 球 最 大 客 機 空 中 巴 士 A380 , 昨 發 生 去 年 10 月 首 航 以 來 首 宗 事 故 。 新 加 坡 航 空 公 司 一 班 A380 客 機 , 在 新 加 坡 起 飛 前 意 外 鏟 上 跑 道 旁 草 地 , 全 機 乘 客 要 轉 機 。
    客 機 原 定 由 新 加 坡 飛 往 澳 洲 悉 尼 , 由 拖 車 拖 離 客 運 大 樓 時 , 由 於 拖 車 的 液 壓 系 統 發 生 故 障 , 導 致 A380 偏 離 跑 道 , 鏟 上 跑 道 旁 的 草 地 。 事 件 中 無 人 受 傷 , 但 為 安 全 起 見 , 新 航 安 排 乘 客 改 搭 另 一 班 波 音 747 , 稍 後 會 派 人 檢 查 該 架 A380 。
    Next:
    None Planned

So why was it being towed to the runway instead of taxing on its own?

Comment

Anyone know how to read questions marks?

Alex
      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Link in english, http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...321865/1/.html
        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Yeah why is that being towed instead of taxing on its own power......
          Must be a headache for the airlines to have to do that, sounds kinda like a bum deal.

Comment

I ask myself that question too: Why not on its own power but the tow truck?

and try to answer:

I guess it could be such reasons as fuel emission, fuel saving, new ideal of the SIA Management.

Comment

Originally posted by ATrude777
              Anyone know how to read questions marks?
              If you had Chinese characters installed in your computer like I do, your only problem would probably be how to read Chinese, like myself.

Cheers.
              TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro
                ***SIA said a tow truck used to push back the aircraft experienced some hydraulic failure. The truck disconnected from the plane. The plane then rolled off the tarmac, onto a grass verge. ***

It seems that the tug was already disconnected from the aircraft, so it's not necessarily the problem of this issue, noh ?

And after reading it again, could it be that the media has worded it wrong, (we all know how correct the media is sometimes when it regards aviation) that maybe what they really meant was just probably the push back process.
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

The pushback was being conducted with a towbarless tug, they are designed to release the nosegear in a failure. As the nosegear steering was locked out the A380 became a big, reversing shopping trolley!

Comment

Thougt the the first incident happened when a 380 prototype touched a hangar or something else with its wing at Bangkok last year?

get FRA spotting informations here:
                    www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

^First incident while on commercial service
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Damn, I'll bet a lot of those pax were dissapointed to get put on a 744.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                          Damn, I'll bet a lot of those pax were dissapointed to get put on a 744.
                          Especially those booked in the Suites .

Comment

i would have thought the crew would have hit the brakes, but i guess being up there its a lot harder to judge your position on the tarmac.

Comment

Pilot hits the breaks (other than really really really gently) = A380 sitting on its tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X