The Death of Warsaw Pact Transports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Princess Leia
    Time to start this thread up again. We were up to 200-201 written off in the time period of 2000-AD.com crash.

Newest one: AN-12 vs. 727 in Congo, Brake failure on taxi, Jan 25.

Ouch. That doesn't look like fun. And the nose gear ont he 727--they're not supposed to rotate that far, are they? Think that happened when it got hit?
    ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1711
      Ouch. That doesn't look like fun. And the nose gear ont he 727--they're not supposed to rotate that far, are they? Think that happened when it got hit?
      Yes. The nose gear will steer 89 degrees either side of center. I used to park a -200 on the blast fence for overnight parking. In theory we were to stop the aircraft and use a tug to push it onto the blast fence. I was working one night when there was only three of us on duty. With two of us manning the cockpit and the other providing ground signals, I taxied the aircraft straight into the blast fence with the right main gear on the parking center line. When the nose was about 10 feet from the fence, I cranked in all 89 degrees of steering toward the right and spun the aircraft 180 degrees. The turn stopped with the aircraft centered over the line with the nose 5 feet short of the spot. I let it roll forward to the spot. The left wing cleared the fence by >20 feet.

Note: Don't try it on a slick ramp!
      Don
      Standard practice for managers around the world:
      Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
        Yes. The nose gear will steer 89 degrees either side of center. I used to park a -200 on the blast fence for overnight parking. In theory we were to stop the aircraft and use a tug to push it onto the blast fence. I was working one night when there was only three of us on duty. With two of us manning the cockpit and the other providing ground signals, I taxied the aircraft straight into the blast fence with the right main gear on the parking center line. When the nose was about 10 feet from the fence, I cranked in all 89 degrees of steering toward the right and spun the aircraft 180 degrees. The turn stopped with the aircraft centered over the line with the nose 5 feet short of the spot. I let it roll forward to the spot. The left wing cleared the fence by >20 feet.

Note: Don't try it on a slick ramp!
        Oh okay. Didn't know they turned that far. I'm used to little stuff where we only get 20 degrees either side of center.
        ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Leia
          By the way, it's Canadian Airways Congo, a cargo airline not registered in Canada but in Congo (not former Zaire, but the other Congo). According to Jacdec, the aircraft is a total loss. The aircraft is owned by Teebah, who had previously operated it for Iraqi, and as you can see it's still in the latter's colors.

Comment

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
            Better add the scorecard. Not updated since the old forum, but I think we're pretty close.

AN-8: 2
            AN-12: 46**
            AN-24: 2**
            AN-26: 26** (including the may 2009 cigarette shipping AN-26).
            AN-28: 11**
            AN-32: 19**
            AN/Iran-140:3 (Itīs a design after USSR, but still included)**.
            AN72/74: 4
            IL-18: 8
            IL-38: 2
            IL-62: 2
            IL-76: 27 (3 probable write-offs, not sure)**
            IL-86: 2
            Let 410: 40* (one more rumored crash in DRC not included)
            MA-60:1**
            TU-134: 6
            TU-154: 9
            Yak-40: 6
            Yak-42: 1
            *Updated by Princess
            **Updated by Alessandro

Total comes to 217** aircraft Last update in May 2009.
            [Quote Spacepope/Princess Leia]
            This scorecard is for crashes after 1992, when USSR/Comecon dissappeared involving their aircraft designs.
            Since last update Il-76 and AN-12 been suffering from a few crashes, things has calmed down for the Let-410, not a write-off in over a year. Is most of them grounded or are they so few left? Also same with the Tu-134, Tu-154, YAK-40 and YAK-42. I included the Chinese MA-60 since itīs a licensed version of Antonov.
            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore View Post
              Don, you're my hero!

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
                Originally Posted by Princess Leia
                Better add the scorecard. Not updated since the old forum, but I think we're pretty close.

AN-8: 2
                AN-12: 47**
                AN-24: 2**
                AN-26: 26** (including the may 2009 cigarette shipping AN-26).
                AN-28: 11**
                AN-32: 19**
                AN/Iran-140:3 (Itīs a design after USSR, but still included)**.
                AN72/74: 4
                IL-18: 8
                IL-38: 2
                IL-62: 2
                IL-76: 27 (3 probable write-offs, not sure)**
                IL-86: 2
                Let 410: 40* (one more rumored crash in DRC not included)
                MA-60:1**
                TU-134: 6
                TU-154: 10**
                Yak-40: 6
                Yak-42: 1
                *Updated by Princess
                **Updated by Alessandro

Total comes to 219** aircraft Last update in August 2009.
                [Quote Spacepope/Princess Leia]
                This scorecard is for crashes after 1992, when USSR/Comecon dissappeared involving their aircraft designs.
                Since last update Il-76 and AN-12 been suffering from a few crashes, things has calmed down for the Let-410, not a write-off in over a year. Is most of them grounded or are they so few left? Also same with the Tu-134, YAK-40 and YAK-42. I included the Chinese MA-60 since itīs a licensed version of Antonov.
                Iran crash added.
                Congo-Brazzaville crash added.

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
                  Iran crash added.
                  Congo-Brazzaville crash added.
                  At the AN-12 crashes.

Comment

Working...
                  X