Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Airbus A320 Plane Crash into forest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Airbus A320 Plane Crash into forest.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_EM0hDchVlY

I cant seem to find any pictures of the aftermath of this accident, and was always amazed at the short distance it took to stop... or did it?

Did the wings come off and the fuselage continue on for a distance?

Anyone have any insight?

TIA
    Everyone made like DB Cooper.

Some pics can be found here:
    http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/af296/photo.shtml

(Almost) Everything else you need:
    http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...ine=Air+France

Comment

[img]images/icons/icon1.gif[/img] Old Airbus A320 Plane Crash into forest.
      Huh? That accident happened nearly 20 years ago (give and take a few months).
      warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

Originally posted by el
        Huh? That accident happened nearly 20 years ago (give and take a few months).
        Hence why he said old crash...

Comment

It was 20 years ago today...
          Just for the record and those of us who are too young to know:
          the aircraft was an Airbus 320-111 F-GFKC of Air France, s/n 9 which crashed on a demonstration flight during an airshow at Strassbourg-Enzheim, France. Was only three days with Air France when the accident happened June 26, 1988. Crew was not experienced (CPT 138hrs, FO 44hrs) with that type, descended out of 1000ft too fast, below 100 feet crew intecepted the aircraft at 50 feet (minimum level was 100ft), nose-up with more than 14,5 and TO/GA automatic switched-off, so speed went below 130 kts. Finally, at the end of the runway the crews noticed the forest and tried to escape via full-power, but max. power they got was little more over 80%, before they crashed. Of the 130 people on board three people died in that plane.

get FRA spotting informations here:
          www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Originally posted by ToRX

(Almost) Everything else you need:
            http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...ine=Air+France

Cheers Torx. But I was hoping for a detailed plan view with positions where the various pieces of fuselage ended up and with seat numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbun
              Cheers Torx. But I was hoping for a detailed plan view with positions where the various pieces of fuselage ended up and with seat numbers.
              Ahh, sorry about that. But I hope I can give some compensation with this source for some more accident photos
              www.crashdehabsheim.net

Comment

Many thanks for real this time Torx

I am aware of the perspective effect, but still taken aback at the short distance it took to stop.

Comment

Wow, I'm assuming those two clean cut lines in the forest are from the engines? The most eerie thing about the most popular video of it is the sound of the engines spooling up after the plane disappears behind the trees.

Comment

@Tbun:

Take this picture for example:

Here you can see how far the jet has already sunken into the forest at the very beginning of the tree line. At first, it must have "surfed" partially on the bending trees, and once the resistance of the wood was too strong, it sank like a stone, somehow comparable with a surfboard on flat water losing speed and then sink, I imagine.

And the two lines I always thought to be from the gear, or are they too far apart to be caused by the gear?

Comment

Originally posted by ToRX
                      And the two lines I always thought to be from the gear, or are they too far apart to be caused by the gear?
                      Looks to me like the lines would be from the gear. They were the lowest part of the craft as it went into the treeline with a nose high attitude. The engines were up higher and wider in this attitude and wouldn't seem to have touched the trees significantly until the airspeed dropped and brought the nose down.
                      Terry
                      Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
                      How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I imagine the wings would have stalled almost immediately and then the whole plane just flopped down. I had a hard time understanding why the momentum did not carry the fuselage further, but thanks to the pics I am almost there.

thanks guys.

Comment

Old Stuff But

Wasnt there a huge flap after the accident to the effect the French govt substituted the black box for another one (there were pictures of the discrepancy) to conceal the pilot error ?
                          ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
                          Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Yes there seems to have been some jiggery pokery going on there.

Comment

Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.
                              Electric adjustable beds prices and reviews

Comment

Working...
                              X