Dornier 328 crashes in Mannheim, GER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dornier 328 crashes in Mannheim, GER

A Cirrus Group Dornier 328, built in 1999, crashed in a landing attempt today at Mannheim Airport, Germany. According to a spokesperson of the German air traffic control, the plane, which was on its way from Berlin to Mannheim, touched down very late on the runway and while braking very heavily it somehow struck the ground (with parts other than gear) and slid over the end of the runway into a noise barrier wall. One wing and one engine were ripped off. Pax 24 and 3 crew are uninjured.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,542559,00.html

Good thing no one was seriously injured or killed.

Comment

Hmm,guess the saying "Hit the numbers" need not apply.lol No one was killed and theres gonna be a lesson to be learned so all is gonna be more or less ok. Hopefully the pilots careers will be salvagable 2.

Comment

Here's a picture, unfortunately taken from the wrong angle:

From BILD newspaper

Comment

Too bad about the airframe, but I'm a big fan of incidents that everyone walks away from.
          Terry
          Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
          How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Call me being biased, but I assume that everyone is
            Originally posted by FireLight
            a big fan of incidents that everyone walks away from.

Comment

but I'm a big fan of incidents that everyone walks away from.
              Umm,an intresting comment on an aviation forum. lol

Comment

Metal gets bent, but hopefully in the big picture lessons are learnt. Procedures get better, training improves, technology makes piloting safer and generally easier. Insurance companies are there to cover the costs, albeit premiums go up.

Airframes can be replaced. People, not so much.
                Terry
                Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
                How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by ToRX
                  Call me being biased, but I assume that everyone is
                  Originally Posted by FireLight
                  but I'm a big fan of incidents that everyone walks away from.

You're saying you like crashes? I don't know anyone who gets excited over seeing a plane crash.

Comment

Hiya,

Better pics here:

http://www.morgenweb.de/nachrichten/...caecf9e574b041

Bye, Chris.
                    Latest pics and more:
                    CLICK HERE

Comment

Metal gets bent, but hopefully in the big picture lessons are learnt. Procedures get better, training improves, technology makes piloting safer and generally easier. Insurance companies are there to cover the costs, albeit premiums go up.

Airframes can be replaced. People, not so much.
                      I'm totally with you here.
                      Where can i get one of those stylish JP.net banners? - Got it!

Comment

Originally posted by thxcollins
                        You're saying you like crashes?
                        Nope, I said something different.

Comment

Originally posted by ToRX
                          Nope, I said something different.
                          OK then, don't assume that everyone is a big fan of incidents.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcollins
                            OK then, don't assume that everyone is a big fan of incidents.
                            Following your personal semantics, are you saying that you are actually a fan of incidents only if people are injured? Or, put into other words: Are you saying that you hate incidents nobody walks off uninjured?

Comment

Clearly the ideal situation is:
                              1. Crew and pax get on plane
                              2. Plane takes off
                              3. Plane flys around in some reasonably non-random manner.
                              4. Plane lands more or less at it's destination
                              5. Crew and pax exit plane safely
                              6. Plane is good to repeat 1-6

Unfortunately, our inability to create perfect aircraft, pilots, and flying conditions means that s**t happens. In this case, #5 is the best case scenario, and hopefully only a little tin-banging is required for #6.

Alternatively: Not a fan of incidents, but if they do occur most prefer those with the least impact on crew, pax and airframe.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X