FAA tries again to fix cover-up of safety errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA tries again to fix cover-up of safety errors

Doesn't sound good that problems linger in the FAA for so long. Hopefully, these steps to address this will stick this time.

If the FAA doesn't report or misreports incidents, it wouldn't seem to be in the best interests of addressing aviation safety concerns.

WASHINGTON - The Federal Aviation Administration is trying for a second time in three years to stop its managers in Texas from covering up air safety violations.

FAA chief operating officer Hank Krakowski said Thursday he had removed the manager and assistant manager of an air traffic control facility in Dallas-Fort Worth. He also announced a series of steps he said would finally put an end to deliberate underreporting or misreporting of incidents in which airplanes fly closer together than they are supposed to. More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24298055/
    Terry
    Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
    How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

While I think many near misses and that crap are way over sensationalized, I find it hard to trust a goverment agency that is wrapped around the airlines and manufacturers thumbs no matter what supposed steps they take to alleviate this.

Comment

This specifically talks about the problems uncovered at DFW's ATC facility, in which a female air traffic controller blew the whistle on constant violations that were occurring there. I first came across this while flipping through the channels on TV, and she was on the Oprah Show telling her story. Jaw-dropping is the best way to describe what she was alleging, and torment and harassment she endured from her co-workers was just as bad. It's pretty sad that she had to run to Oprah just to get the FAA to take her seriously.

I remember the FAA vowing to clean up DFW ATC after her allegations turned out to be true. That "was" several years ago, and it seems as if nothing happened in all that time. They need to get to the bottom of whatever is going on there, because it's giving the airport a very bad rep, and it's definitely not doing a thing to help AA either.

Comment

Originally posted by cegro27
        This specifically talks about the problems uncovered at DFW's ATC facility, in which a female air traffic controller blew the whistle on constant violations that were occurring there. I first came across this while flipping through the channels on TV, and she was on the Oprah Show telling her story. Jaw-dropping is the best way to describe what she was alleging, and torment and harassment she endured from her co-workers was just as bad. It's pretty sad that she had to run to Oprah just to get the FAA to take her seriously.

I remember the FAA vowing to clean up DFW ATC after her allegations turned out to be true. That "was" several years ago, and it seems as if nothing happened in all that time. They need to get to the bottom of whatever is going on there, because it's giving the airport a very bad rep, and it's definitely not doing a thing to help AA either.
        IIRC she said one of the incidents was where they were playing air controller "chicken" with a couple of inbound aircraft.
        Terry
        Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
        How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, and that's reckless "and" criminal. They need to completely 'clean house' at DFW TRACON, and somebody needs to get prison time.

Comment

Working...
          X