Another North Sea 'Chopter down ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another North Sea 'Chopter down ...

Second North-Sea Rig transport flight to crash in sixty days.

Foundation Course in Aviation Engineering on-going; Stage One of the journey to professional engineer!

I pray they are all ok. We just went through this in Newfoundland. If you have any updates, let us know if you can.

Comment

BBC Reports eight out of the sixteen are dead so far.

Foundation Course in Aviation Engineering on-going; Stage One of the journey to professional engineer!

Comment

That's sad to hear. After what we went through here I was praying for all to be safe.

Comment

How was the weather there today? I looked it up, but couldn't find it.

Comment

Same company and same model of helicopter. The BBC article from the February crash said that they'd received three new EC225 Super Pumas last year. I wonder if this one is another one of those three and if so, whether the third is going to be grounded in case there's some sort of problem with them?

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by ROM View Post
              How was the weather there today? I looked it up, but couldn't find it.
              According to the BBC article, the weather conditions were believed to be good and water temperature 5C.

Steve.

Comment

Visibility was moderate to good, cloudless sky apparently.

All sixteen now confirmed dead. SAR is now Recovery. All Bond helicopter flights suspended until further notice and an interim agreement has been reached for a new operator to provide transport flights to the rigs.

Comment

So how deep is it at the crashsite, any wreckage found?
                  Personally I canīt wait until the BA609 starts flying to oilrigs, seem like helicopters are
                  very vulnerable to the weather, especially the classic design with tailrotor.
                  "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

All bodies have now been recovered and flight data being examined.

For those of you interested in this accident go to

www.pressandjournal.co.uk

There is extensive daily coverage and if you search the site for helicopter crash all details of incident are there.

Comment

Take what you read at Aberdeen Journals with a big pinch of salt. They've got a wonderful talent for printing rubbish where it concerns aviation because they'd rather fill their pages (Due to a lack of anything else to write about) with supposition than seek an informed opinion.

Comment

Interim AAIB report has been published, citing catastrophic failure of the main gearbox which seperated the main rotor hub from the driveshaft. The rotors sliced through the tail boom, separating it from the aircraft.

Secondary rupture of one of the turbine engines but they think that's incidental to the main damage. FDR/CVR failed after initial mayday call.

Comment

Working...
                        X